Metals Knowledge for Broadfork?

rustico_2009March 1, 2014

I want to make a broadfork. I can weld stick and have a pretty powerful machine, but don't know too much about metals.

Wondering what to use for tines, the rest should be fine with easy to find weldable steel.

I saw some recomendations for regular bar stock but I think that will bend. I intend to make a brute of a tool with metal handles not wood.

There is a metal type 4140 that perhaps is the right stuff? Is it stick weldable to other types of steel? ( I can pay someone to mig or fig it)

I also thought of buying 16" grade 8 bolts and drilling the cross bar and bolting them. Those are suppose to be pretty strong....I think I don't care about the tines having any curvature...want them around 14" long maybe 16" and if thats too long I can cut off a few inches.

Anybody have related skills, or make their own broadfork?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

I fabricated my own broadfork but it's been almost 10 years and i'm sorry to say, I've retained little of the metal info. I did find the receipt from the tine stock I used and it's "1/2 inch 86L20 steel" from Pacific Machinery and tool steel co. in Portland, OR.
While I do use the fork and it works well, the tines will bend if really stressed (rocks, new ground, etc). If I was making it again, i'd use slightly harder steel, but not too hard or they'll crack under stress. I also would have made it a little less burly, it's weight makes it tough to use for a long period of time.
Hope this helps a bit.
-Mark

This post was edited by madroneb on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 21:08

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 9:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustico_2009

Thanks Mark, I went ahead and bought a fork, mostly because I couldn't readily make one of the quality and functionality I perceive this one to have. Hope my perception isn't off.

Probably make another , wider with lots of tines for better working of beds that are already pretty soft and for harvesting root crops. I don't anticipate too high of forces on the tines and the metal you suggested would probably work for that.

Here is a link that might be useful: broadfork

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
Tilling and making raised beds
I was busy last night tilling up ground, making raised...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Advice for Farm Stand Newbies
Hello! Cant tell you how much I have enjoyed reading...
Marquisa
Farm Fan App
I ran across this today, any thoughts? http://about.farmfanapp.com/ Looks...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
Starting an urban farm
Greetings all. I have read a great deal on these forums...
chardy_har_har
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™