Metals Knowledge for Broadfork?

rustico_2009March 1, 2014

I want to make a broadfork. I can weld stick and have a pretty powerful machine, but don't know too much about metals.

Wondering what to use for tines, the rest should be fine with easy to find weldable steel.

I saw some recomendations for regular bar stock but I think that will bend. I intend to make a brute of a tool with metal handles not wood.

There is a metal type 4140 that perhaps is the right stuff? Is it stick weldable to other types of steel? ( I can pay someone to mig or fig it)

I also thought of buying 16" grade 8 bolts and drilling the cross bar and bolting them. Those are suppose to be pretty strong....I think I don't care about the tines having any curvature...want them around 14" long maybe 16" and if thats too long I can cut off a few inches.

Anybody have related skills, or make their own broadfork?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

I fabricated my own broadfork but it's been almost 10 years and i'm sorry to say, I've retained little of the metal info. I did find the receipt from the tine stock I used and it's "1/2 inch 86L20 steel" from Pacific Machinery and tool steel co. in Portland, OR.
While I do use the fork and it works well, the tines will bend if really stressed (rocks, new ground, etc). If I was making it again, i'd use slightly harder steel, but not too hard or they'll crack under stress. I also would have made it a little less burly, it's weight makes it tough to use for a long period of time.
Hope this helps a bit.
-Mark

This post was edited by madroneb on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 21:08

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 9:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustico_2009

Thanks Mark, I went ahead and bought a fork, mostly because I couldn't readily make one of the quality and functionality I perceive this one to have. Hope my perception isn't off.

Probably make another , wider with lots of tines for better working of beds that are already pretty soft and for harvesting root crops. I don't anticipate too high of forces on the tines and the metal you suggested would probably work for that.

Here is a link that might be useful: broadfork

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
electric mantis tiller?
I am thinking of getting one for use in hoop houses....
jnjfarm_gw
Question about greenhouse ventilation
Hey all, We have a 30' x 48' gothic greenhouse with...
secondspring
Kalettes / Flower Sprouts
I'm sure a lot of you have heard the recent hype, or...
ekgrows
Micro Green mix help
Lately, I've been getting demand for micro greens in...
theripetomatofarm
Tomato grafting
I've been thinking of trying it for a few years, and...
grow_life
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™