Cat nip in little pots?

ryseryse_2004March 21, 2013

I am trying to come up with different things for the farmer's mkt. here and wonder if anyone has tried selling catnip? I plan on using a large white board on an easel with pictures/prices etc. and think that will show people what I have.

Also, I am starting pots of basil, parsley and ornamental purple peppers. This is the first year I am participating in a new market and don't want to even try to compete with farmers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cole_robbie(6)

Catnip wouldn't sell for me. I did sell a little cat grass. Cats that are kept indoors love to eat cat grass. I thought it would make them throw up, but that didn't seem to happen.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 6:20PM
loewenzahn

I have a catnip in the garden and if you plant this in a little pot (dividing you existing plants) you must sell it quickly because it grows so fast. How about comfrey, it is soo easy and a prime plant for fertilizing any garden, but I have no idea how this sells.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 7:33PM
danagr(4)

I sold a few last year. I dug up some that grew in my garden and repotted them into 4" pots, sold them for $2.50, I sell at two small town markets, I have to keep my prices somewhat lower than larger markets, if I price things too high, I can't sell them.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 8:48PM
boulderbelt(5/6)

When I did FM's, catnip would sell about 2 $3 bags a week, on average. I did not do live plants as cat prefer dried catnip flowers and leaves to fresh; plus I can sell dried nip year round.

A potted catnip plant would be a waste as any cat would kill in in under an hour unless it is a big plant in an 8" pot

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 4:03AM
More Discussions
Winter market 2015
Last week during the first winter thaw here I cut forsythia...
jebfarm
Winter market, 2015
Darn phone, it said this message was rejected. Sorry...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Other farming forums???
Does anyone know of any other active farming/market...
rrleesb
Winter markets, going better?
We had another winter market last Saturday. Due to...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Wanted: 4 row seeder
I'm in the market for a 4 row pinpoint seeder, the...
sundacks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™