looking for daylily farms/growers

veilchen(5b southern Maine)July 18, 2004

Any one know of any I haven't heard of yet from southern to mid-coast ME? I might have time to stop by Barth's after visiting Earthhart gardens today if time permits.

I love to see them in bloom so I know what I'm getting if I purchase them. Also just like to ooh and aah and talk to daylily growers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
muzzy(z4/5-ME)

Hi Veilchen , There is a place I pass on my trip to work called We Dig Daylilys. It's located on Sabttus street close to the sabttus line. I've not stopped there yet , but they seem to have quite a selction. Muzzy

Bookmark   July 18, 2004 at 7:37AM
hatetomow(z4ME)

There is a place called The Cutting Garden in North Vassalboro if that is not too far north. Would be very interested in learning what places you have been to so far. I also love to search out daylilies that are grown and sold in Maine.

Bookmark   July 18, 2004 at 12:32PM
eden_in_me(5a Maine)

I heard that Chelsea Gardens is going out of business. I got some of my first dillies there, but then the addiction became full blown and I got more from ebay & online nurseries. Many many more. And my also addicted girlfriends keep giving me more. But I don't complain.

Marie

Bookmark   July 18, 2004 at 4:48PM
suenh(4)

BlueHill DAylilies on rte 15 Bluehill.

Bookmark   July 18, 2004 at 7:27PM
bourret(z5a Maine)

If you're not too far from Unity I suggest you go to Ellie's Perennials. It's actually not that far from Blue Hill Dayliies. You can go to both the same day!

Lisa

Bookmark   July 19, 2004 at 1:49PM
muffintruong(5)

Chelsea Gardens is going out of business, but her stuff is going fast!! Better get over there.

Bookmark   July 31, 2004 at 9:34AM
veilchen(5b southern Maine)

Well, I've been able to get a few new daylilies in the past week. I heard that Valente's in Berwick was still in business and we visited on Thursday. Picked out a Valente and 3 other varieties, including 'Lilting Lavender', a spidery light orchid color one.

I also hooked up with who I call my "daylily guy" (a collector) in Scarborough. We set up a trade transaction where I will get several of his on my wish list in exchange for some that I have.

I would like to make a trip to Barth's pretty soon, and try to find some of these others mentioned along the way.

Bookmark   August 1, 2004 at 7:11AM
muffintruong(5)

Muzzy, imagine my surprise when I read your July posting regarding my small business: We Dig Daylilies! I couldn't believe my eyes, If you have a chance stop, I am open daily until 12:30 or until 5:00 most weekends. By the way, it made my Mom's day when I told her that I had made the internet! thanks Kathy Truong

Bookmark   August 3, 2004 at 12:41AM
Scarbo(z5 Maine coast)

Old Sheep Meadows Nursery in Alfred Maine....only digs for a few weeks out of the year. Has great rose gardens...that is their specialty. Has a web presence.
Valente Gardens (she is really reducing inventory). No longer has a web presence since Ron Valente passed away.
Young's Perennials in Freeport has some field-grown daylilies. They are hybridizing from purchased seed also. They have a lot of potted "Chicago" daylilies and some of the more famous daylilies of the last decade.
On Eureka, there's a Simple Pleasures daylily place right in Scarborough, Maine with a list of their daylilies...they have ove 700 varieties. I have no experience with them yet.

PS. Re: We Dig Daylilies
Kathy,
Do you have a list of the daylilies you have? I live in Scarborough but have friends in Sabattus off of Pleasant Hill Road. When do you close for the season?

Bookmark   September 6, 2004 at 11:05AM
Scarbo(z5 Maine coast)

Some contact info for daylily growers in Maine. These are the ones I found on the net. I may have missed a bunch...

Fieldstone: http://www.fieldstonegardens.com/ Fieldstone Gardens 55 Quaker Ln., Vassalboro 207-923-3836

Youngs: http://www.youngsperennials.com/
Young's Perennials 1 Young's Lane, Freeport 207-865-3533 YoungsPerennials@aol.com Field-grown perennials, specializing in daylilies...

Old Sheep Meadows...website n/a right now...maybe it is seasonal...only could view the "cached" info on Google... Here's the contact info:
Old Sheep Meadows Nursery,Michal Graber, 90 Federal St., Alfred, ME
04002 Ph. 207.324.5211

Ellie's Perennial Gardens, Ellie Richardson, 273 Bangor Road, Unity, ME 04988. Ph. 207-948-2101. General listing. Other perennials. Price list. $1 (deductible with first order). Email: ellieper@uninets.net

I'm putting Chelsea Gardens in case they are not completely out of business:
Chelsea Gardens 230 Townhouse Rd., Chelsea ME 207-588-0251

Deerwood Farm & Gardens 571 Norway Rd., Waterford 207-583-2412 groworganic@prexar.com Field-grown daylilies, perennials, organic vegetables & herbs.

Mountain Greenery Greenhouse Rt. 2, W. Bethel 207-836-3003 Specializing in recurrent blooming daylilies and iris. Wide variety of perennials and annuals.

Simple Pleasures Lily Farm
John McIntosh
14 Ash Swamp Rd
Scarborough, MEÂ 04074
Phone: 207-883-3904
Email: mainegreen@hotmail.com
Web: www.GardenEureka.com/SIMPL

Valente Gardens, Cindy Valente, 123 Dillingham
Rd., N. Berwick, ME 03906 Ph. 207.457.2076

Bookmark   September 6, 2004 at 4:03PM
muffintruong(5)

I have around 100-150 different hybrids for sale so far. I have started hybridizing some of my own. We will not be open the week following Labor Day. But will be open for about a week after that. We also have a few seed grown perennials.
I hope that if you or your friends are in the area, that you have a chance to stop by. Happy Gardening, Kathy Truong We Dig Daylilies

Bookmark   September 6, 2004 at 9:50PM
muffintruong(5)

Hi,I will have a list ready in the spring, if you would like me to send you one, please email me at: KJTRUONG@WMCONNECT.COM thanks, Kathy Truong We Dig Daylilies

Bookmark   September 6, 2004 at 10:00PM

Thanks guys! Scarbo, John McIntosh of Simple Pleasures Farm is a friend and has supplied me with about 75% of my daylilies! This year we traded.

I have visited Old Sheep's Meadow and made a few purchases, but don't care for the jacked-up prices, the limited digging time, and other issues. A very nice place to wander, though.

I will have to check out Young's, I didn't know they did a lot of daylilies.

Thanks, Kathy--I'll email you for your list.

Bookmark   September 7, 2004 at 7:28AM
Mainiac(5b Maine)

I am not in business to sell but I do trade from time to time. Here is a link to my photobucket page so you can see some of the daylilies I have grown

Here is a link that might be useful: Mainiac's Daylilies

Bookmark   September 10, 2004 at 6:10PM

Wow, Mainiac! Absolutely gorgeous daylilies, and gorgeous pics! Would love to trade if you see anything you like that I have.

Here is a link that might be useful: some of mine--click on 'daylilies'

Bookmark   September 11, 2004 at 7:03AM
More Discussions
Who has Grapes in Maine
How about a few notes from anyone growing grapes in...
bberry_gw
What is this sweet plant ?
Hi, I saw this plant in Southwest Harbour , Maine,...
carib2008
Small fruit classes?
Wondering if anyone knows of any classes in small fruit...
bushpilot1
Help with ID this plant
**THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ID!** We visited Rockport...
p.polyxenes
which seeds are best to use?
I haven't purchased any seeds yet and not sure which...
normathenewbie
Sponsored Products
Grid Panel Antique Brass Finish Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Contemporary Black Fabric Floor Lamp with Brass Bamboo Pole
ParrotUncle
P3131-15: Fairfield Polished Chrome One-Light Bath Fixture
$87.93 | Bellacor
Blue Jeans Hand-woven Denim/ Hemp Runner Rug (2'6 x 8')
Overstock.com
Art Glass Table Lamp: Mission Collection 24.5 in. Antique Bronze Table Lamp STT1
Home Depot
Ceni Coral Armchair
bryght.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™