Waterfall

Gree Star

Seiryu

Fireglow

Geisha

Sango kaku or Japanese Sunrise

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mattlwfowler

Wow i've never seen a fireglow with that type of leaves...are you sure that isn't a mistake? Or is that not its usual shape?

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 11:25PM
mickey_dee2002(zone5 MI)

John:
I'm impressed. I made my first attempt at grafting last winter and the results were 0 fo 5. In addition, I've had one of my trees up and die this spring after it leafed out. (Tamukeyama)this is the second tree I've lost in the same spot. I'm thinking that the soil might be infected.
Mike

Bookmark   May 18, 2007 at 10:05AM
Grancru(z5 MI)

Mike,
I have found to have far better success with summer grafting although I am buying a greenhouse (maybe today) to hone my skill in the winter. I have lost a lost of grafts after they have taken and the second growth spurt hits. I think they drown in sap. I did a lot of conifer grafts this January and will do all my maples just after the summer push has ended.
Maybe you should pull the soil and replace with some good pine bark mix. I leave my grafts in pots until late fall then bury until spring to see if they survive.

Matt, now that you mention it I looked up Fireglow in the bible and it cannot be. Fireglow is more like a Bloodgood yet less devided. Fireglow is what the mother tree was labeled so I will have to do a little research to see just what I have here. Looks more like a Burgundy Lace. Thanks for the heads up!

Grancru

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 11:50AM
nobreyner(z9 Houston)

Or a Beni Otake

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Acer Rubrum Redpointe - Pictures Anyone???
Was originally looking to get a Autumn Blaze but read...
sam268
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Mail order source for improved silver maples?
Greetings! Brand new to the forum. This spring, I'll...
arbordavein
Japanese Maple concerns
The tree has two main branches. Is that normal? Also...
420benz
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™