Do you sell edamame?

gama_garden_tx(9)March 16, 2013

Just planted edamame, because I figured our market customers would love it. Do you sell edamame? If so, what sizes and prices? I'm thinking maybe $5/quart unshelled or $4/1.5 pint unshelled. Is that too low?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2ajsmama

I did a trial last year - people eagerly bought at $3/pint unshelled. I didn't have enough to shell and make it look like anything ;-)

Of course this is more expensive area, I don't know what your market will support. Does anyone else around there sell it?

I'm looking at 2 more months at least before I can plant beans, and the edamame says it takes 90 days. Though last year I was selling it early-mid Aug and I don't think I planted until mid-June. I have to keep better records.

Oh, and it wasn't ready all at once either, like Fedco said it would be. I picked for 2-3 weeks off the same plants, not a 10-day window.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 6:25PM
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

I grew if for a few years but gave it up. Too much of a pain to harvest.
I have seen some farmers cut whole plants and hang them from the booth at market and selling them by the each. I don't remember how much they sold for.
Sorry, not much help from me......

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 8:38PM
2ajsmama

It is just as much a pain to harvest as green beans, but sells for more $. If all the pods were ready at the same time then you could cut the plant and sell it, I understand that's the preferred method in Japan, but I just didn't see it happen with my plants last year. Now this year if I have too many to pick (planting all the seed bought in 2011) I may have to do that, but there are going to be some ripe (big and yellow) and some not filled out pods along with the ones that are "just right".

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:28AM
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

I remember each little pod being more strongly attached to the stem than string beans. That and their size is why I say it was a pain.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 11:45AM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

Yes it is as easy to pick as beans but takes a little more muscle with each pull. I have found a big difference with variety. Envy was not as good as Beerfriend. They are yummy to eat raw. I usually sell out at market too but people either love or hate soy so I ask my CSAs to tell me if they want it.
I plan on using much of the crop this year for saved seed.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 12:43PM
2ajsmama

I didn't pick as many last year as string beans, but don't recall them being any more firmly attached. Actually, I ended cutting the Bush Blue Lake green beans off the plants with a pair of kiddie scissors b/c I was snapping the beans or breaking the plants tugging on them. Edamame might be a little harder/take a couple seconds longer to ID ones that are ready b/c you want the seeds filled out but not yellow pods, green beans I was just going on length (and cutting off the ones that were overripe anyway so plants would keep producing, sorted them out later).

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 12:44PM
2ajsmama

Never tried them raw, only steamed with sea salt. This year I'm going to try steamed and shelled with butter - DH said he ate some in MD on business trip, restaurant served them just like limas.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
Sprayer Value
Hi- I am thinking of buying a used mistblower sprayer,...
erniew
Kalettes / Flower Sprouts
I'm sure a lot of you have heard the recent hype, or...
ekgrows
Winter market, 2015
Darn phone, it said this message was rejected. Sorry...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Hoss seeder
Anyone using a Hoss Seeder? Please post a review. Thanks...
whfpa
One woman, seven acres
Hi there. I've been reading this forum for nearly eight...
briannaorg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™