determinante tomatoes

farmerTeddyMarch 6, 2014

does any one grow bush tomatoes? what is your planting interval for season long harvest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
little_minnie(zone 4a)

I put in a bed of determinate tomatoes to cover with low tunnel later in fall. I plant them on 6/25. I don't grow other determinates generally but put in tomatoes for low tunnel in late April and normal season planting around 5/20 for 3 total plantings per year.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 7:21PM
randy41_1

i plant a lot of determinate tomatoes. i do an early planting inside and then a little later one outside. the inside ones don't really stop producing but they do slow down. i plant a few different varieties to help stagger the harvest.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 8:55PM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

I started planting multiple plantings of determinate tomatoes instead of relying on one planting of indeterminate tomatoes. I noticed a big jump in sales, especially as others vendors tomatoes were getting smaller and I still had large slicers available.

My first planting will be planted in the high tunnel around the 3/26 to 4/1
Second planting, outside, will go in 4/28 to 5/3 (under row cover if needed)
Third planting, outside will go in 5/24-5/30
Fourth planting will go in one of our movable tunnels around 6/15
and the last planting (don't always do this one) will be 6/25 to 7/1. For me, any tomato planted after 7/4 is not going to produce enough during the market season to make it worthwhile.

Last year we had big slicing tomatoes from mid June until December. I could have pushed it longer, but they don't sell as well late in the season, so I put my efforts into crops that over winter better and sell better in the late fall and winter.

I step my plantings down each time. This year I am starting at 400, then 300, then 200, then 80 to 100, and finally a small planting of 50 plants.

We will have planted about 900 plants before we even pick the first tomato. I plant out 6 to 8 week old seedlings.

All these pics were taken about the same time in early July.

The first planting, there are a few indeterminates in there too.

Here is my 2 and 3rd plantings last year.

The 4th and final planting last year

Jay

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 10:49PM
joeyvegies

They look great Jay, you obviously stay more up to date on your string weaving than I managed this year.

Anybody got any favourite determinate varieties? I tried Burpees Quarter Century this year (almost total flop) and Principe Borghese (very hardy and I could sell them as cherry toms so good price).

I think next year I want to try some hybrids or something with more disease resistance bred in.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 12:29AM
randy41_1

try some BHN varieties. for me they produce a ton of tomatoes at one time.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 4:57AM

I agree, I have tried and liked every BHN variety I have planted. I also plant Florida 91, a heat set variety, as most of these tomatoes are producing and setting fruit during the hottest part of the summer.

Jay

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 9:22AM
joeyvegies

Thanks, looks like there is a BHN agent here in Australia, hopefully they will do some small packet lines and not just 1000 seed lots.

I tried to find Florida 91 last year as it gets very hot very early here, will keep trying...

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 3:58AM
grow_life(6A OH)

This will be my first season with a hoop house. I've got a mix of early and later maturing determinants as well as a few indeterminate varieties ready to go in in the next week or two. I just seeded some flats of my main season varieties, and I will probably get a third planting later in the season to take me through fall. I plan on treating some of the indeterminate varieties as determinants for the same reason as Jay, dwindling quality later in the season. I grow specific varieties for a chef, and some just don't hold through the season, hence successive planting and ripping out the occasional low productivity vines that otherwise might still be productive. Black krim is a good example, it's listed as indeterminate, but I've never picked a salable one after about early August.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 9:43PM

If this weather doesn't shape up, not sure when I will be planting this year! I usually aim for the 15-20th of March, but this year I don't think so, it is snowing tonight. I also didn't start my plants as soon as I usually do, so we will just have to wait and see.

Growing in a hoop house, your determinates seem to keep producing. If you have a cool summer, you can get another huge production off the same plants in late August/September. That has happened to me twice. At the end of last year, I was still picking tomatoes off all 4 plantings. I stripped the inside ones and pulled them out. I sold lots of green tomatoes for a few weeks during that time too.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
Winter market 2015
Last week during the first winter thaw here I cut forsythia...
jebfarm
Gotta do something to increase sales, stay in business
This year was the worst yet, I've been doing this since...
2ajsmama
Other farming forums???
Does anyone know of any other active farming/market...
rrleesb
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
electric mantis tiller?
I am thinking of getting one for use in hoop houses....
jnjfarm_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™