WANTED: Swappers with Water Hyacinth or Parrot's Feather

gardengrove_ac(z6 MD)April 13, 2008

Hey everyone,

I finally clipped the mass of English ivy that was choking out the life from the lily pond at the house I live at. The owner wants the ivy gone and I'm going to hopefully add more tropical/exotic looking plants. I'm also adding some paradise fish to the water (its about 6' long, 2' deep, and 3' wide. Hopefully they can control the mosquitoes and provide a little interest. I was hoping someone who was attending the MAG Swap in my had some Water Hyacinth, Parrot's Feather, or other wispy aquatic plants the fish could use as habitat. I'm going to bring the fish inside before the cold hits so I can do the same for the plants and overwinter them in the aquarium.

If anyone has some extra, let me know. I have Brugmansia, Datura, Hardy Hibiscus, and a good number of tropical plants I could trade for.

Thank you,

Peace,

Nate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cynthia_gw

FYI, Both are considered 'invasive species of concern' in Maryland and water hyacinth is on the Federal noxious week list. I wonder if other water gardeners could suggest better options? Would be a shame to have won the battle over one noxious weed (the ivy ) and intentionally bring in others :(

Bookmark   April 13, 2008 at 7:18PM
gardengrove_ac(z6 MD)

Water hyacinth freezes to death in the winter. Down in more tropical locations it can be a serious problem, but at 3000ft elevation it turns to mush rather quickly. The parrot's feather is gonna be yanked out when the time comes as well. The pond is in an enclosed courtyard, too small for waterfowl to use (A major way floating plants move around), and on a completely enclosed system. I'm not planning on putting either species in a wild or uncontrolled habitat. Invasive is a relative term. Also, the federally listed species of water hyacinth is Eichhornia azurea, I was looking for Eichhornia crassipes. But that's splitting hairs. I have experience in aquariums/greenhouses with water hyacinth and parrot's feather and I know they're excellent for hiding fish larve from their hungry parents. If anyone can recommend another species which has finely divided roots or leaves that guppy/paradise fish fry can mature in, please recommend it.
Peace,
Nate

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 7:38AM
gardengranma(6a/6b MD)

This is gardengranma, the hostess. If any one has water hyacynth or underwater plants , parrot feathers etc. I'd sure like some. You are welcome to what you want to dig when you come.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 3:24PM
gardnwatch

I'm also looking for a source for parrot's feather.
It did nicely in my pond a few years ago and died out over the winter.....so I would like some more if anyone has any.
thanks.......
Bonnie

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 9:16PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Direction to Swap in Burtonsville
Try Mapquest. Here are the basics. If all else fails,...
gardengranma
wanted: wants 2012 fall mag swap
2012 Fall MAG Swap: Plants You Want List Saturday October...
kimka
HAVE: 5ft lilac bloomerang plant (reblooming)
4year old lilac bloomerang for trade. In exchange I...
kandhi
WANTED: Gardengranmas big wish
Wish that you will all come and be happy.
gardengranma
have: fall 2012 mag swap potluck
2012 Fall MAG Swap: Potluck List Saturday, October...
kimka
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™