hedge for small front yard

bungalow_houseJuly 9, 2007

Hi everyone. I have frequently read posts here but this is my first.

I have a very small front yard (small city lot). I am removing grass from the front yard and replacing with perennials. (I hate grass.) I think I need a hedge of some sort between the walks and the plantings. The mulch is staying in place for the most part, but aesthetically, it just looks like it needs a defining boundary. Anyway, I can't find something that I like that I think would be ok with snow shoveled on it in the winter. Ideally I would like something evergreen (boxwood would be fantastic!) but I would be afraid of winter damage. A neighbor has barberry, but that's a bit taller (and scratchier) than I'd like. I'm thinking a perennial might be a safer bet...daylilies maybe?

Surely someone else has had this issue before and found a good solution. If so, I would love to hear it!!

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
veilchen(5b southern Maine)

Daylilies won't do, they're gone in the winter, take quite a while to fill in before the summer, and their leaves decline by late summer/fall.

Shrubs are not my forte, but certain kinds of boxwood are less prone to winter damage than others. I have heard that Korean boxwood handles our winters fine.

There is always yew, grows in sun and shade.

Holly if this is a part shade site. Might be a bit fussier to get going than yew.

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 3:24PM
daylilylady(z5 ME)

May I suggest Rhododendron 'PJM'? I just love mine! The extra added bonus to these beauties is that they maintain leaves throughout the winter.

Rhododendron "PJM" (PJM Rhododendron)

Zone 4 Mature size: 3-4' h

Small, dark-green leaves and abundant, purple-pink flowers adorn this broad, fast-growing plant. Leaves turn bronze in winter.

Rhododendron "PJM Elite" (Elite PJM Rhododendron)

Zone 4 Mature size: 3-4' h

Similar to "PJM", but flowers later in spring - the last of the PJM clones to bloom.

http://www.hortsales.com/catalog/broadleaf_evergreens.htm

Marilyn

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 9:40AM
diene(Z4ME)

Another option is spirea but that grows quickly and needs to be cut back to about a foot each year. There are both regular and golden so you could alternate plants and get a nice effect. I am attaching a picture, the bush in the back with the purple flowers is a golden spirea. diene

Bookmark   August 9, 2007 at 9:50AM
bungalow_house

I need some rhododendron elsewhere, so if the PJM doesn't work as the hedge, I will certainly try it elsewhere.

And the spirea might be just the ticket! I considered it before, but thought it would get taller than I wanted...it never occurred to me to cut it back each year! :)

Thanks everyone!

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Can I plant YET? lol
Hey I was hoping someone would tell me I COULD plant...
swiftfml
Ut Oh. Maine is a very inactive forum.
Ok. Let's chat. I live somewhere near Ellsworth, although...
annpat
Indoor tomato starts
Hi, this will be my 4th garden this year....I haven't...
skullz13
New Tomato Transpants Help
Hi all, I am new here, hoping for some help with the...
lisaw2015
The Curse of the Plume Poppy
About 3 years ago my husband (the landscaper no less)...
Limur
Sponsored Products
42" Prairie Nickel and Stained Glass Ceiling Fan
Euro Style Lighting
Feiss Aura 5" Wide Rustic Silver Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Square Chrome Waste Bin With Pedal
TheBathOutlet
Casam Lounge Chair
Grandin Road
Beaumont Solid Brass Doorbell
Signature Hardware