seed costs

kristenmarie(Z4-5/New Mexico)March 25, 2005

I'm curious... how much do you all expect to spend for seeds each year as it relates to your total income ... I used to think of seed as something so cheap it hardly factored in but obviously that was before I got serious. Now my husband is having hyperventilation problems when he hears what our seed bill this year might be. We're small market gardeners. Last year I spent $300 on seed and we made, oh, not quite $3,000. This year we want to make more, so...

Anyone willing to share their numbers? How much do you spend on seed?

Kristen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gooseberry_guy(MI)

I save seed from open pollinated crops like tomatoes or beans. If you can find non-hybrid varieties that do well for you, it sometimes makes sense to save your seed from them. They can become acclimated to your area better than seed you may get, that has been grown in other areas.

GG

Bookmark   March 25, 2005 at 9:10PM
etznab(7 NC)

Last year my cost/revenue figures were almost idententical to yours. But that was mostly for sampling many different varieties. This year I spent a lot less of seed and expect to make more, because I have a better idea of what grows and sells well in this area. How much space do you have? Are you planting thickly and then spending lots of time thinning?

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 1:35PM
robin_maine

My seed costs last year were 2% of my gross income.

Bookmark   March 30, 2005 at 5:46AM
More Discussions
Spinach harvest
Testing out these new forums, but I thought I would...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Mara des bois strawberry?
I have just discovered Mara des bois strawberry and...
cedar_wa
surplus
Normally I have a restaurant that buys 150 lbs/week...
brookw_gw
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™