Lupine Problems

LynnMaziarzJuly 20, 2011

So, this is the second time I have tried to grow Lupines. I got this particular plant at the Portland Farmer's Market and it appeared to transplant well. It was vigorous and bloomed beautifully before it was attacked mercilessly by aphids. I managed to stave them off using forceful water from the hose and a detergent/water mixture in a squirt bottle.

Now, the leaves look like this:

Is the soil holding too much water? Should I add some sand? Does it just need compost/ fish emulsion? Would love some help with this one. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonnys

Looks like they didn't like your aphid remedy. Aphids just love lupines. I think if you just give them some time they may recover. One of the leaves looks like it may have a slug trail on it. I spray slugs with a half amonia half water mixture to kill them. I winter sow lupines and they seem stronger than what you buy at the nurseries.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 11:28AM
bourret(z5a Maine)

Hi Lynn,

Everything I've read about Lupines told me that they like a lean soil. They don't like compost, manure, fertilizers, etc.

Lisa
West Newfield, Maine

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 7:11AM
gardenandcats(Maine)

I find the best thing to do is plant Lupine seeds Now buy them and nest year you will always have Lupine. Seed works so much better then plants for many give it a try

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Who has Grapes in Maine
How about a few notes from anyone growing grapes in...
bberry_gw
spring blooming white flowered bush
Hi all, I have a friend in Maine who planted an unknown...
Elijahs.Mimi
Small fruit classes?
Wondering if anyone knows of any classes in small fruit...
bushpilot1
New Tomato Transpants Help
Hi all, I am new here, hoping for some help with the...
lisaw2015
What is this sweet plant ?
Hi, I saw this plant in Southwest Harbour , Maine,...
carib2008
Sponsored Products
Arteriors Home - Lupine Side Table - DD2044
Great Furniture Deal
Lupine Inc Adjustable Puppy Love Design Safety Cat Collar - 1/2 in. x 8 - 12 in.
$25.99 | Hayneedle
Lupine Inc Adjustable Black Safety Cat Collar - 1/2 in. x 8 - 12 in. - 0865-5326
$23.99 | Hayneedle
Lupine Inc Adjustable Black Safety Cat Collar with Bell - 1/2 in. x 8 - 12 in. -
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Lupine Inc Adjustable Candy Apple Cat Collar - 1/2 in. x 8 - 12 in. - 0865-1390
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Linon Claire Echo Gatsby Lupine Grey Fabric Ottoman Bench
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™