My greenhouse is on its way!

veilchen(5b southern Maine)August 21, 2004

Birthday present for me, I have wanted one for so long I am kind of in shock. Was used to a lifetime of wishing I had a greenhouse, esp. in early spring when my vegetable, annual, and perennial seedlings are all over the house under lights.

I ordered it from Farmtek, a catalog I started receiving this summer. The price seemed good, they gave me free shipping. It is 12' long by 9' wide, 7' tall. Also ordered 4 automatic vents and the base so it will be well-anchored. It is metal and polycarbonate panels.

Anyone have any tips, ideas for greenhouse growing in Maine? I am not expecting to get much out of it in the dead of winter, but we may in the future buy a supplemental heater for it. The first year I will be concentrating on just seeing how long I can keep some flats of lettuce greens growing into the winter, then move seedlings into it next spring. I am interested in knowing whether perennials in pots can be over-wintered in the greenhouse. I also ordered a hi/low thermometer so I will be able to see how much heat it retains this winter.

This will be a new adventure!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Franklin66

Hi Veilchen...I also have a new greenhouse...sort of a hybrid hoop house greenhouse...12'by 24'...from Gardeners Supply out of Burlington Vermont. Have the framework all put up...and hope to have the plastic on in a week or two....if I can catch a day when I'm off and the wind isn't blowin'...:-) Going to use it as a season extender for the most part. Franklin

Bookmark   August 21, 2004 at 10:18AM
chicken_lady(z3/4 Maine)

Get Elliot Coleman's book, "Four Season Harvest". He's located in Harborside and he gardens year round. He uses plastic hoophouses and then also uses row covers (remay) for even more heat retention. He sells to local resturants all year. Winter crops are mostly salad type greens. I don't think it would work up here where I am, as I'm zone 3/4 and colder, but you who are located in the southern part of the state shouldn't have any problem having produce even in the winter.

Cathy

Bookmark   August 22, 2004 at 2:53AM
veilchen(5b southern Maine)

Cathy, I've checked out Eliot Coleman's book so many times from the library that I should just buy my own copy. A "freebie" that's coming with my greenhouse is a 4-tier mini greenhouse with a zippered clear plastic cover that goes over it. I figured I can use it inside the greenhouse for extra protection. I am really hopeful I can grow salads all winter.

Bookmark   August 22, 2004 at 7:31AM
robin_maine

Link below for Eliot Coleman's farm. It's gorgeous. Barbara's pictures are fantastic. I'd love to spend a day.

I have Four Season Harvest and New Organic Grower. Both are excellent books.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Season Farm

Bookmark   August 23, 2004 at 7:00AM
More Discussions
Can I plant YET? lol
Hey I was hoping someone would tell me I COULD plant...
swiftfml
garden 2012
Okay, I am back after a not so fruitful first try back...
normathenewbie
New Tomato Transpants Help
Hi all, I am new here, hoping for some help with the...
lisaw2015
How doe your garden grow?
I hope there are some people who still are active on...
bonnys
more RAIN!!
do you think we will be able to grow gardens this season?...
sherryinmaine
Sponsored Products
Tamburo 12 Bronze One-Light Drum Pendant with Marble Grigio Glass
$486.00 | Bellacor
Madison Rug 12' x 15' - SOFT BEIGE
$5,499.00 | Horchow
Kraus GV-101FR Frosted Glass Vessel Sink - GV-101FR
$99.95 | Hayneedle
Hubbardton Forge Moreau Steel Contemporary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Reactive Candle Square Gift Boxed Vases
Classic Hostess