What is the fasting growing Maple Tree?

Hannah73May 7, 2011

I am wanting to plant a couple of Maple trees in the front of my house, which is in full sun, to help with shade. I was wanting to know which is the fastest growing Maple Trees to plant in Zone 8. I live near Charleston, SC. Also how much do they cost?

Thanks for any help with my question.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnplace

The fastest may be Silver Maple, but you really don't want to plant one of those... They are serious nuisance trees. Unless you plan to plant it in the middle of a field somewhere away from all structures, you'll regret putting one of those in the ground.

Freeman maples (acer x freemanii) are hybrids of Silver and Red maple that grow faster than red, but aren't as problematic as silver. Lots of people like these. I personally favor red maple... or sugar maple.. but they are relatively slow growing... better trees though IMHO than all of the above.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 5:40PM
    Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 5:59PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

These are all full-sized trees in time, that will overwhelm your house unless it is a mansion. And even with fast-growing trees you have to wait years for a substantial shadow to be produced. How long do you want to bake, while you wait for the trees to develop? Probably better to pursue an architectural solution, such as blinds, awnings or lath.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 9:02PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

Generic Acer Rubrum grows pretty well in my yard.

The Silver Maples are faster though. Not the worst tree. Interesting bark, early flowers, good looking leaves, above average yellow fall color. Just be prepared to remove the thing during your life time.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 10:56PM
johnplace

@Toronado: Have you not had any problems with dropping branches (or sap), or invasive roots? Silvers are pretty trees if viewed from a distance, granted.

But my Dad's neighbor had one when I was a kid and it was always dropping stuff all over our yard and driveway.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 12:15AM
thejerm

We planted a Marmo Maple (hybrid) in our front yard, and are now having to consider ripping it out for the reason that many have mentioned here. It is growing very fast, which we thought was going to be a great idea, but it does have very invasive roots, and is sucking the life out of everything surrounding it. (Completely my fault, the research I did before planting it consisted of "Is it pretty?") We've had it for about 3 years... bought it with about a 4" trunk and around 20 feet high... the trunk is now close to 6" and it's probably closer to 30' now. So definitely a fast grower.

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 1:01AM
More Discussions
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
Planting a Sugar Maple seed.
Hello! I've got a beautiful Sugar Maple in my yard,...
Pippers
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™