Planting time for peas and potatoes?

heirloom_lady(z5 OH)March 30, 2005

When do you plant peas and potatoes? I just got my shipment of potatoes and was thinking about planting them this weekend, and maybe some peas too. It's not too early is it? Just can't wait to dig in the dirt again.

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lee True Hulcher

Hey there Sherry,
I am a zone above you(Z4), but I plant my Peas on April 15th and my potatoes on mother's day. The old timers told me that they planted thier potatoes when the lilacs leafed out, here in my area, of Montana. hope that helps.
Leec

Bookmark   March 31, 2005 at 10:14AM
ohiorganic(5/6 SW Ohio)

Too early for potatoes in Ohio. wait at least until mid month but beginning of May is better

peas will do great if planted right now.

When you get your taters get them out of the bags and into indirect sun to green up for at least 7 days.

Bookmark   March 31, 2005 at 12:34PM
jayreynolds(zone 6/7)

remember that potatoes take some 2-3 weeks to push out of the soil, then count back from your last expected frost date. Uusally, even if hit by a late frost taters will resprout at soil level, but will be set back. If frost threatens and they are emerging, just begin to hill them up or have mulch ready for standby. Mulch or hilling needs to be done anyway, so I'm taking the chance with mulch as a backup protection.
Commercial growers use overhead irrigation during frost events.

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 8:03AM
heirloom_lady(z5 OH)

Thanks all for your feedback. Guess I'll wait a bit to plant. Rain and snow are forecast for this weekend which kind of puts a damper on my planting fever. I'll try to get the peas in next weekend and wait a couple more weeks for the potatoes.

Ohiorganic, I did take the potatoes out of the bag, and I laid them in a flat plastic crate in the basement. They're on a shelf close to my grow lights. Will that be the same as indirect sunlight to green them up? By greening up do you mean they actually turn green, and will they be ok if I don't plant them for 2 or 3 weeks?
Sherry

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 9:36PM
robin_maine

Keep in mind what zones are - the average lowest winter temperature. They have nothing to do with first and last frost or the number of growing days. Zone doesn't matter when it comes to spring planting.

An example of how zones don't apply to this - my daughter and I live 1800 miles apart but both in zone 4. It's been in the 70's at her house, no snow, spring flowers are blossoming. I still have snow on frozen ground.

Hope that helps!

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 7:54AM
dab07

i found quite by accident that planting potatoes later than usual for my area (Hudson valley NY) outsmarts the potato beetle by missing its reproductive cycle. i planted them in mid june that first year, and it was great! the second year that date seemed a bit too late. this year i'll try for mid to late may. good luck!

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 11:08PM
fancifowl(5Pa)

I am in Z 5, nw Pa., and I have been planting the 1st taters about mid April; they are ready, usually, near the same time as those put in near May 10. Last year the tops were burned off on June 4 and 10 by a hard frost, I saw no reduction in yield.

Do you all cut your seed potatoes or no? I cut mine then let set until sacbbed over.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Advice for Farm Stand Newbies
Hello! Cant tell you how much I have enjoyed reading...
Marquisa
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Pump recommendation for watering in greenhouse?
Hey everyone, We're looking to set up a large water...
secondspring
Growing ginger in northern areas
This is my first year growing ginger, I have 10 pounds...
mdfarmer
Farm Fan App
I ran across this today, any thoughts? http://about.farmfanapp.com/ Looks...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™