Some tips please.....

farmingvillefarmer(East Coast zone 7)March 28, 2010

Hello all this is my second year growing plants from seed and selling them out front of my house. Last year was OK but i didn't make back the money I spent getting started. This year I figured to try something new. Last year was flowers only this year I'm planting vegetables also. A few questions please, I have around 150 Tomato's started, they are under lights and around 6-8 inches tall. I have Big Boy, Beef Steak and Roma. Before I move them outside to the green house what size pot should I use? 4.5" or a 1 Gallon pail? I'd like an idea on how much to charge for each plant also. Another new thing is Herbs I have lots of Parsley, Oregano, Basil, Rosemary and Cilantro. I'd like some tips on what to do with these Herbs please if you have the time, thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eric_wa(San Juan, z8 WA)

farmingvillefarmer,

I was doing a little math while potting up vegetable starts today.

A 2 cubic foot bag of soiless potting mix is about $10.00.
There are about 240 cups to a 2 cubic foot bag. Each cup cost about 4 cents. I think a 4" pot holds about 2 cups.

4" pot = 8 cents plus your seed. We sell our 4" pots at $2.00 each and a flat of 18 pots for $30.00.

The only plants we pot up to a 1 gallon nursery are tomatoes and peppers. I believe they were $5.00 last season. I like to sell the plants before they get to this size. Less material and labor.

We sell at a premium price, for if they don't sell, we plant out. We sell produce also.

I'd also recommend that you grow cherry tomatoes. The market last year, here, seemed to have a shortage and sold out quickly.

We haven't grown herbs, maybe this year. Herbs take a little more to get started and grow out. You should charge more. Hopefully someone else can help you with them.

Eric

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 11:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wyobluesky

Eric is pretty spot on, the smaller sizes cost you less in the long run but the larger sizes are also good to have on hand.
Here are some more measurements.
http://americanclayworks.com/catalog2008/mixes.pdf
page 110 has the good stuff. Remember, these measurements are for a compressed bale, they fluff up quite a bit.

As for sales, make sure your flowers are blooming.

also this link seems useful also, ITML is the most standard.
http://www.americanclayworks.net/acw_weights_and_measures.html

I assume most of these measurements are available on other sites, but this is the place I am familiar with.

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 2:59AM
More Discussions
Sustainable Online Farm Summit | March 18-21 | Free*
Summit features 18 speakers. It appears that these...
chardy_har_har
What tool for punching hole in plastic for transplants
What do yall use for putting a hole in plastic mulch...
seedsoffaithfarm
Hoss seeder
Anyone using a Hoss Seeder? Please post a review. Thanks...
whfpa
Turnip Greens
There are always people asking about turnips greens...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Tomatoes looking good!
I went "all in" and planted my big tomatoes...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Sponsored Products
Square Wenge Wood Cotton Swab Jar
TheBathOutlet
Sticks Rust Four-Light Bath Fixture with Amber Mica Shade
$430.95 | Bellacor
Azul Bone Shaped Pet Bowl
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
Black Eiffel Arm Chair in Fuchsia
$154.99 | Dot & Bo
Indoor Ceiling Fans and Light: Illumine 52 in. Oil Brushed Bronze Non-Light Ceil
Home Depot
Daytona 71" Double Bathroom Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - Cherry w/ Drawers
Modern Bathroom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™