weird Palmatifolium color - Part 2

kjskjsMay 27, 2009

Regarding a previous post about my new palmatifolium. If you switch to the "gallery" side, you will see some pics of the A.s. Palmatifolium (sorry couldn't figure out how to upload a pic on the discussion side). As I said earlier, I was expecting a light/bright green leaf color but my tree is more reddish in tone. It seems healthy and vibrant, just weird coloration. The young tree gets mostly full sun. It leafed out light green and after about 3-4 weeks it began to turn red. Any ideas?

Thanks

KJS

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kjskjs

I think I figured out how to post pics directly in the message. Here you go. Thanks Herman for responding.
KJS

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 9:40PM
kaitain4(7)

Many green JMs color up a bit when in strong sun. I have an A.s. '6910' in nearly full sun that is doing the same thing. Normal behavior...

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 11:43PM
herman_neutics

Ya KJ, that does look unusual to me. I've not had colors like that on the plant I grow. I don't think it has to do with sun exposure. My tree is grown in full sun and both the inner and outer leaves are bright green through the seasons except in Autumn.

Sometimes plants express traits in youth that fade as they gain maturity. I'm interested to see if those colors hold up through the Summer and also how it colors up in Autumn. Please post again later in the season.

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 10:01AM
zadal

Palmatifolium will turn reddish when under full sun. But they will remain Green when under shade. As compare to other green maples, which will get burnt on the tips when under full Sun, Palmatifolium is a good alternative. Not to mention the beautiful fall colors.

Bookmark   May 29, 2009 at 10:52AM
More Discussions
Kelp treatment effective for sugar maple?
One of our mature sugar maples has been struggling...
ruckusev
Will this graft take and I need to put a bag over it?
Two days ago I grafted a clipping from a Sugar Maple...
Timothy Wood
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
split trunk on new japanese maple
Hi. With the snow and ice from this year our tree ,...
lkps
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™