First Frost

robin_maineSeptember 6, 2004

There was a light frost in Lakeville on Upper Dobsis lake yesterday morning, Sept. 5. Every morning that we don't have a frost here I count myself lucky.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chicken_lady(z3/4 Maine)

We've been lucky so far too. One morning this past week it was down to 38F here at the house, but no damage yet. I thought the sun was suppose to be out today? So far here it's cloudy, breezy and the temp is 55F at 9am. Certainly been like fall all this past week with the exception of Wed I think it was? Overnite temps stayed around 70F and it was very humid!

Cathy

Bookmark   September 6, 2004 at 8:57AM
gardengardengardenga

We are all just sitting ducks waiting for the first frost...lol...I want to cover my flowers with sheets and protections to keep them going as long as I can.

Bookmark   September 6, 2004 at 11:20PM
robin_maine

PHEW. No frost this morning. 37°.

Bookmark   September 14, 2004 at 6:07AM
robin_maine

I spoke too soon. When I went to the back garden away from the house there was frost. =(

Bookmark   September 14, 2004 at 4:08PM
chicken_lady(z3/4 Maine)

Been lucky here so far, nothing yet....but they say there could be some tonite??? I think it felt colder last night after the rain cleared out of here? And it there was quite a breeze blowing out there not to long ago....so I don't know? If the breeze dies down there just might be one? I took all my potted plants that I wanted to save inside a few days back, so let it come! lol Boy, aren't the trees really starting to color up now!? Winter's a coming!

Cathy

ps...we have started a "smudge" in the woodstove the past two nites tho...

Bookmark   September 20, 2004 at 1:42AM
robin_maine

It's 43° this morning - no frost. We've had a smudge the last two nights. It was nice to get up this morning to a warm house. The leaves are changing here too. This is my favorite time of year.

Bookmark   September 20, 2004 at 5:58AM
veilchen(5b southern Maine)

None yet here, but we have dipped down to low 40s last 2 nights. It looks like we'll be spared this week, but any day next week is up for grabs!

Bookmark   September 20, 2004 at 7:42AM
Mainiac(5b Maine)

Wide spread frost predicted this week. Thank goodness I don't have many annuals

Bookmark   October 2, 2004 at 5:52PM
gardengardengardenga

This weekend, it came, and hit my key lime tree...snow that is! I have it under chicken wire with leaves stuffed in it...I do need to put burlap around it and stuff it more before it gets any colder.

Bookmark   November 15, 2004 at 11:02PM
robin_maine

I don't have snow here in Talmadge. The snow line stops about four miles from here. I had a class at UMaine Machias last night. It looks like winter down there.

Bookmark   November 16, 2004 at 6:37AM
More Discussions
Styrax japonicus (Japanese Snowball tree)
I live near Damariscotta in mid coast Maine. I'm wondering...
adimice
Anyone grow hot peppers?
Just wondering what people grow for hot peppers here...
Dirtydog420
more RAIN!!
do you think we will be able to grow gardens this season?...
sherryinmaine
Best Greenhouses in Maine
I was wondering where the best Greenhouses in Maine...
Kathy_in_Maine
How doe your garden grow?
I hope there are some people who still are active on...
bonnylynn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™