WANTED: Shade shrubs wanted in exchange for shade groundcovers

shadysite(8)August 10, 2009

I am clearing 20 years of English (and poison) ivy off a very shaded (HUGE beech trees) back yard slope. I am looking for all kinds of shade-tolerant and shade loving shrubs and would be happy to do exchanges within 20 miles of the NW DC beltway or in the direction of Annapolis.

I have sweet woodruff, geranium maculatum, Japanese pachysandra, green liriope, plumbago chiniensis, germander, creeping thyme (likes sun).

I pefer relatively short/low to ground native shrubs, but am insterested in:

black chokeberry (arconia melanocarpa), common snowberry (symphoricarpus orbiculatus), cowberry (vacciniumvitis-idaea, fothergilla (fothergilla gardenii),Japanese kerria, lowbush blueberry (vaccinnium augustifolium), New Jersey tea (ceanothus americanus), partridgeberry (mitchella repens), teaberry/wintergreen (gaultheria procumbens), redosier/yellowtwig dogwood (cornus sericea), running serviceberry (amelanchior stolonifera), smooth hydrangea (Hydrangea arborescens "Annabelle"), yellowroot (xanthorhiza simplicissima).

Willing to consider other plants as well, once I

read up on them!

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynnt(Z7 MD)

I have PLENTY of both regular and variegated kerria japonica if you want some suckers, also clerodendrum trichotoma (harlequin glorybower -- a nice five-foot shrub that blooms in white fragrant flat panicles, then the berries turn blue while the brachts stay maroon, and then later the leaves go golden before they drop -- definitely a three-season shrub, though again it DOES sucker). I also have a large abelia (really a part-sun shrub, but truly blooms all summer) that I would like to dig up and replace with a blueberry.

I live in Lanham, near NASA -- is that close enough for you?

LynnT

Bookmark   August 27, 2009 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
wanted: have mvp turface bag
Have MVP truface bag, live in Ashburn, anyone interested...
kandhi
wanted: have mvp turface bag
I have unused MVP Turface bag. Anyone interested in...
kandhi
have: haves fall 2012 mag swap
2012 Fall MAG Swap: Plants you Have List Saturday October...
kimka
wanted: wants 2012 fall mag swap
2012 Fall MAG Swap: Plants You Want List Saturday October...
kimka
HAVE: Deer
We've got way too many. Come and get some. Larry
Larry Kahn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™