canuckistani(5b)March 4, 2009

Hey Everybody,

I saw someone mention something I never Are most market growers responsible for having insurance for their produce? How does the food safety work at most farmer's markets?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You are responsible for your own insurance at the vast majority of markets. Through your farm owners insurance you should be able to get a liability rider that will cover you for not more than a couple of hundred dollars a year. If you have home owners insurance it will cost more, if you can get it. A lot of of home owner policies will not touch food/farm liability.

You need at least $2 million in coverage.

    Bookmark   March 5, 2009 at 4:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

2 million in insurance? Is this for selling at a farmer's market or at your own farm? I don't have farm insurance, just reg. homeowners insurance. Why so much insurance coverage?

    Bookmark   March 5, 2009 at 12:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thosedarnsqurls(Up-State NY 5)

In NY State, the most reasonable AND the most complete coverage is through the NYS Farm Bureau.
Doesn't just cover markets, but ANYwhere you happen to be.

It costs about $450.00 per year and I could not find anything any cheaper. (Nor could my insurance agent.)
No one around here will do the rider on your homeowners anymore, and several years ago, (when thet still would), it was $325.00 a year.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any market these days, that did NOT require your own insurance.

See if your state has a Farm Bureau.

    Bookmark   March 5, 2009 at 2:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

gardner1908, I believe I have a $5 million policy to cover me at farmers markets and on the farm. You need a lot because if you poson or injure someone their insurance company will sue you for millions of dollars and if you are not covered than you pay out of pocket and lose your property

Along with the Farm Bureau you can get liability insurance from the Farmers Union as well, though they do not cover all 50 states.

I get mine through my State Farm farming policy (though another company underwrites the liability policy and it was not easy to get).

If you rent your farm/land than it will cost about $2500 a year for coverage. When I rented I was not covered and simply took my chances for 13 years. In that time I was not sued once. But now that I own a farm and the liability costs under $100 a year, I carry coverage.

    Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 5:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Why is liability so high when you rent your land?

    Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 5:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Insurance is cheap vs getting sued. A former insurance agent told me, that my homeowner's/farm policy would cover me, if I did not take my produce off of my farm. Once I left my property, my homeowners/farm policy would not cover. I am looking for sources to cover my farmers market, we always need to be aware what is available. Suggestions?

    Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 9:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Insurance is important. Unless things are different in your country, a homeowners policy, or even an Agripolicy will NOT help you after you, or your product leaves your farm.
I am a member of 3 different Farmers markets groups. Each of these has its own umbrella policy that covers our members and even the non-members who we allow to sell at our markets. Typically the coverage is $2,000,000 maximum per incident.

    Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 5:00PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
What tool for punching hole in plastic for transplants
What do yall use for putting a hole in plastic mulch...
help designing my irrigation system
Hello, quick introduction, My name is Ed and I have...
Winter markets, going better?
We had another winter market last Saturday. Due to...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
anyone grow ramps??
I know this is a really specialty crop but was wondering...
Pump recommendation for watering in greenhouse?
Hey everyone, We're looking to set up a large water...
Sponsored Products
Auto Document Organizer
$9.99 | zulily
Cole & Co. 36" Designer Series Collection Dalton Sink Chest - Aged Chestnut
Modern Bathroom
Wooden Pepper/Salt Mill - Freud
$50.00 | HORNE
LOUNGE Bottle Cooler with Handles by Blomus
$71.09 | Lumens
Jonathan Adler Capri 14" High Blue Glass Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Upton Home Mission Oak Work Desk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™