have: have: lots of pretty blue irises

petet(z7a VA)August 3, 2007

I am about to divide an overcrowded bed of irises and I will have way too many to replant. The iris is an old but award-winning historic variety called 'Great Lakes' that is no longer commercially available. It's a very vigorous grower that will produce loads of pretty sky blue flowers year after year.

I'd love to trade for other irises (preferably named varieties) or other items. I'm really only interested in trading for highly deer-proof plants though because anything else in my garden is deer chow. (The deer are fat enough, let them find their own food!) I live in northern Virginia.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cfmuehling(7b DC/MD burbs)

I hope these still might be available. I'm not an iris person, (so don't have any to trade) but I started a blue and yellow garden this year and iris are blue... Having grown in in Michigan, 'Great Lakes' appeals to me. :)

I have a dwarf crape myrtle that's a nice dark pink. It's 2' x 2' right now and shouldn't get much bigger.

I have no idea what is or isn't deer proof, but can offer some other sun things:

I have a ton of ornamental grasses, both really tall switch grass types and round-habited miscanthus type. I have nandina, Compacta, Domestica, and Dwarf Harbor types that have put out suckers. They'd be around 1' tall right now.

They don't seem to like Monarda, and I have red Jacob Cline, gorgeous magenta Raspberry Wine and Mahogany, and a light lavender that was supposed to be red. The latter is smaller, only having reached about 2' tall this year.

I have a gudzillion ditch lilies, several liriope varieties, etc.

Hope this helps!?
Thanks,
Christine

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
HAVE: 2014 Spring Swap Have Lists
Staring this thread for those who want it. Will post...
Larry Kahn
HAVE: Great Blue Lobelia siphilitica
We have a forest of this stuff. Come and get some....
Larry Kahn
HAVE: 2013 mag spring swap: have list
2013 MAG Spring Swap: Plants You HAVE List Saturday,...
kilngod z6b
have: haves fall 2012 mag swap
2012 Fall MAG Swap: Plants you Have List Saturday October...
kimka
WANTED: Spring Swap 2014
I think it's time to think about. When do you want...
gardengranma
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™