Kasagiyama or Bloodgood?

rockhavenMay 5, 2013

How do you tell the difference between Kasagiyama and Bloodgood? My sense is that the Kasagiyama has a redder leaf, with more serration and darker veining, but don't know for sure if that's how to tell the difference. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

They should be very distinct!!

'Kasagi Yama' is considered to be variegated and in the Matsumurae group - the primary color is a brick red but will alter widely with sun and shade conditions as well as the age of the leaf. Generally it has a lot of greenish tones to it but can sometimes be quite pale.....more like 'Shigatatsu Sawa' :-) And very obviously veined.

'Bloodgood' is solidly colored and and in the Amoenum group. It is a very deep purple red, no contrasting veining and with a rather larger leaf.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 5:18PM
rockhaven

Thanks. I think there are some trees mislabeled at a local nursery and wanted to make sure before I grab one. I don't see Kasagi Yama very often except what's available for mail-order.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 7:27PM
rockhaven

Gardengal - Here's a picture of the leaf. Any thoughts on the variety? (Again, it was labeled Bloodgood but it doesn't look like Bloodgood to me.)

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 4:15PM
gardengal48

Well, that's definitely NOT 'Bloodgood', that's for sure !! :-)) With that coloring and pronounced veination, it looks very much like 'Kasagi Yama'. I grow this one myself and although mine is beginning to "green out" a bit with the sun, it still looks very similar.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Mail order source for improved silver maples?
Greetings! Brand new to the forum. This spring, I'll...
arbordavein
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Japanese Maple concerns
The tree has two main branches. Is that normal? Also...
420benz
Planting a Sugar Maple seed.
Hello! I've got a beautiful Sugar Maple in my yard,...
Pippers
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™