Need Large JM

becky_rose(NCa)May 31, 2007

What is the largest Japanese Maple. I saw one at a local college campus that is about 30 years old, growing up through an atrium, and it's about 40 feet tall.

25 feet seems to be the top size I see listed in descriptions. Does anyone know of any that get large?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ajwillys(7B-8)

There's a Bloodgood 'looking' JM outside where I work that is about 30 feet wide and probably 35 feet tall. The top of the tree comes to the bottoom of the 3rd story window of my building. I don't know for sure what it is, but all its features point towards Bloodgood. It's definitely on the large side of the biggest size estimates.

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 10:43AM
gardengal48

The straight species Acer palmatum has the ability to get to a pretty large size - 30' trees are not that uncommon in this area and they can get larger - but it takes considerable time to reach those types of proportions. Trees growing in a somewhat restricted area, like an atrium that is enclosed on 3 or more sides, will often produce a growth habit that is determined more by the circumstance than by nature, growing taller with reduced width.

And keep in mind that mature sizes listed in resources represent a typical average - depending on situation, care and longevity, trees can and often do grow taller than the 'maximum' heights listed.

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 11:04AM
jws2301

Vertrees book has some of the Acer japonicum maples growing to pretty large sizes like 'Vitifolium'. Not sure about some of the other ones under the species japonicum. Vertrees is a great reference and has a listing/table in the back that has the size for all at maturity.
Justin

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
October Glory/ Sun Valley Maple growth habit question/input pls
Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a spot. I want a nice...
RGodman
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™