evergreen for perennial border?

lmjonesmaineSeptember 13, 2004

I moved to a new house this summer and want to redesign a perennial border. Right now it all dies down to the ground so it is a big flat dirt area winter and spring. I'd like to make it more interesting all year round.

Here is what I am looking for:

Evergreen plants/small shrubs that would do well in a perennial border. Need something that is not more than 3-4' high and not huge spread. Interesting foliage as background for perennials in spring/summer. The area is mostly shaded.

Any ideas for zone 5?--anyone have good luck with certain plants looking nice all year round in their gardens?

Thanks,

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
veilchen(5b southern Maine)

It may be difficult to find the 3-4' height limit for a conical or upright shape, but you can find plenty in the 5-6' range. It takes several years for them to reach that height, and you can prune to keep them in bounds.

Bookmark   September 14, 2004 at 7:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Green_hands(z5bME)

If you're interested in conifers "mostly shaded" is probably going to come down to a choice between Tsuga (hemlocks) and Taxus (yews).
Among broadleaf evergreens some of the smaller rhododendrons (e.g. yakushimanum cultivars or myrtifolium)Buxus, compact Ilex glabra selections and compact Kalmia latifolia selections might be possibilities. Without more info (exact location? deer? drainage? wind exposure? soil pH? snow loading? winter sun? etc.) it is impossible to know what might be appropriate. A good nursery such as Anderson Farms, O'Donal's, or Estabrooks should be able to guide you.

Bookmark   September 17, 2004 at 7:16AM
More Discussions
Styrax japonicus (Japanese Snowball tree)
I live near Damariscotta in mid coast Maine. I'm wondering...
adimice
The Curse of the Plume Poppy
About 3 years ago my husband (the landscaper no less)...
Limur
Hardiness zone in Bangor
I may be applying for a job in Bangor and was wondering...
bonniejean001
Asparagus Questions
Ok my wife knows how much I love that asparagus so...
macropora
maine is slow...
Who is around?
Jon_dear
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™