Sherwood Flame - is it?

dewy22May 18, 2010

Hi. I have a few questions about my recent Japanese Maple tree purchase. Can someone verify that this is a real Sherwood Flame? The picture of Sherwood Flame I found online doesn't look like my JM. From Sherwood Flame

Here is a few pictures of the leaves:

From Sherwood Flame From Sherwood Flame

Some of the leaves have white holes on them. Any ideas why this is happening? I went to a local nursery and they said it was caused by bugs. I don't recall seeing any bugs on it. From Sherwood Flame From Sherwood Flame

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Why do you think it is NOT 'Sherwood Flame'? The foliage looks exactly as it should and the overall form of the tree appears to be that of SF as well.

The leaf spotting is enviromental and is often seen on red leaf JM's in spring, especially in the PNW. Newly emerging foliage gets easily damaged by transport and by weather. It will grow out of it and is of no concern. No bugs :-)

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 11:26AM
dewy22

Thanks Gardengal48. Well, on http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org, I posted a few pics of my SF on their gallery page, but people said mine isn't a SF. I guess it doesn't matter to me if it is SF or not. I just want to know what JM specimen I am growing.

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 4:19PM
marcindy(z5b, Indianapolis, IN)

No, I don't think this is a SF. The leaves on your tree are not serrated enough for a SF. They also are not divided all the way to a point. I don't think this a SF. Compare the leaves to Bloodgood, Fireglow, Oshi Beni, Emperor I or any of the other popular red-leaved varieties at a nursery. I think you will find a lot of similarities there.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 9:51PM
gardengal48

Foliage close-up of 'Sherwood Flame' - you decide :-)

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Diffetences between the Autumn Blaze, Flame, and Fantasy?
In looking and reading on the WWW about different types...
Dmacsimus
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™