Anyone know a non-toxic wood preservative?

mainelyjim(Z5 Maine)October 8, 2004

I am building a hoophouse to grow vegetables thru the winter and I'm looking for info on what is a safe wood preservative to use on boards that have contact with the soil. I garden organically and need to find something that won't leach into the soil and get into my crops. Any of you out there know of such an item and where I can obtain it? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maineman(z5a ME)

Linseed oil generously applied gives some protection and is non-toxic. Some woods like cedar have built-in preservatives. The plastic wood they sell for decks may be non-toxic, but I will have to check into that. (I plan to make some raised beds next year and don't want any toxic wood preservatives involved either.)

Another approach for your hoophouse would be to not have wood in contact with the soil. You could put down a row of concrete blocks, or just pour a concrete footing and put your wooden structure on top of that. If your concrete blocks had the right sized holes, you might be able to thread your hoops directly into their holes.

MM

Bookmark   October 8, 2004 at 11:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carleyspringwater_yahoo_com

hi try eco wood treatment . we bought some at sherwin-williams its a great non toxic wood preservative,also turns the wood old looking , its also available at home depot i understand best to you all , fred

Bookmark   December 13, 2010 at 12:57AM
More Discussions
Blue Hubbard Just for Fun
The Mrs. and I built a camp in Southern Piscatiquis...
sailfish
garden 2012
Okay, I am back after a not so fruitful first try back...
normathenewbie
Asparagus Questions
Ok my wife knows how much I love that asparagus so...
macropora
Styrax japonicus (Japanese Snowball tree)
I live near Damariscotta in mid coast Maine. I'm wondering...
adimice
New Tomato Transpants Help
Hi all, I am new here, hoping for some help with the...
lisaw2015
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™