maple leaves looked burned after planting

momonmoveMay 17, 2007

We planted a red maple tree just as the new leaves were starting to grow. they were green small leaves when we bought it. A couple of days later I noticed the leaves looked burnt like they were set on fire. I have tried to find an explanation. they only thing I can come up with is maybe it was wind burned during transportation?? Has anyone ever heard of this before or maybe another explanation. If it is wind burn what can I do to help it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Balled in burlap? Check soil moisture, including well inside the original soil ball. Lots of balled in burlap stock gets dried out between digging and planting.

Burned by transport in an open truck is certainly a plausible scenario, too, especially if there was a landscape contractor or other non-nursery-affiliated participant in the chain of supply. Leaves so affected will be tattered looking, as though tossed and torn in the wind - which they were.

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 7:32PM
myersphcf(z6a IL)

Could also be sun damage...if the tree had been under shade cloth at the nursery ...then if you put it in the sun it will fry them even if it ain't hot out...a bright sun after shade cloth will crisp 'em pronto been there done that..David

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 7:42PM
amy_pnw(8 Oregon)

Hmmm, just sited and planted my 9 ft Ukigumo JM this spring, same problem. Mine has been potted for 7 years or more and has done fabulously in the pot. I moved to a new place and I sited it for morning sun. It has a little more midday sun than it did at the old place but that is it. No wind burn enroute. I am beginning to think perhaps it has too little drainage here. The soil is heavy clay.

Amy

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 1:07AM
losfelizdirt

I have managed to burn almost every leaf of my maple thru a bit of sun shock. there is one small bit of pretty light green growth up top, and the tree has given me two seed pods up top. is it fini for this lovely two-year old treeling? any advice? it's now indoors next to other maples that seem to be doing fine.

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
Kashima maple pruning
First off, I'm new to this forum so hello to everyone!...
Justin
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
7-day season for maple sap?
Here in Southern Minnesota, had an unseasonable warm...
grovestead
Sponsored Products
Homecrest Kashton High Back Dining Chair - 1K379-03-CINNABAR
$350.00 | Hayneedle
Faux Magnolias - WHITE
$545.00 | Horchow
Forever Green Art Hydrangea Floral Arrangement
Beyond Stores
Marginal Bog Plant Root - Set of Eight
$49.99 | zulily
3-Pc Pacifica Planter Set
$54.99 | Dot & Bo
Jaipur Heritage Chantilly Transitional Gradation Pattern Wool/Silk Knotted Rug -
$156.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™