Keeping weeds out of carrots

jbjbuild(z5/6 IN)April 7, 2010

Like the post on keeping weeds out of onions, I have the same problem with carrots. Does anyone have any tricks for successfully germinating carrots without weeds taking over. I have heard about using burlap or some other material to cover the bed until the carrots germinate, has anyone done this?

Thanks, Jeff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wackybell(z5 WI)

The only advice I've gotten is to plant into a bed that is weed free already. or the weeds are "in control".

Otherwise I wheel hoe as early as possible and keep wheel hoeing and hand weed in the rows.

I've heard good things about tine weeding with a tractor.

On germinating carrots I always look for weather patterns when its going to rain for 2-3 days in a row. And plant before it rains. Usually a fast storm front will crust the soil and make it hard to germ. When its not going to rain for a while, I plant carrots and place the drip tape dirctly ontop of the rows

hope this helps
Kristi

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 10:42AM
myfamilysfarm

I've heard that you could cover the row of planted carrot seeds with boards and then check then frequently after about 14 days, as soon as you see sprouts, take the boards off. I've also heard about 'burning' off the planted carrot row at the 14 day mark to kill all weeds coming up at that time. They recommended a propane flamer. My ground doesn't seem to grow carrots, so I haven't tried either of these methods.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 12:02PM
jbjbuild(z5/6 IN)

Thanks for the replies. I have rototilled the bed that the carrots will be planted in a week ago and I'm going to let the weed seeds germinate and then do a light tilling to kill those. I like the idea of putting the drip tape dirctly on the rows, i think I'll try that.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 12:31PM
brookw_gw

I do the board thing, and it works quite well. It often takes carrots a good three weeks to germinate. If I don't do boards, I mix radish seeds in with the carrots. The radishes mark the rows and thins the carrots nicely when you harvest them.

Brook

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 2:09PM
eltejano

You can use Roundup pre-emergent and Sencor over the top when they have 5 or 6 true leaves. You can also use Roundup in the pathways with a shield.

Jack

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 4:56AM
More Discussions
purple plants better than green in winter
this is the first full winter season for growing in...
grow_life
surplus
Normally I have a restaurant that buys 150 lbs/week...
brookw_gw
Mara des bois strawberry?
I have just discovered Mara des bois strawberry and...
cedar_wa
Finding the right market
Other thread getting too long and going in too may...
2ajsmama
grow bags
anyone have experience with grow bags? looking at 15...
randy41_1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™