Overwintering mums?

mainerose(4)October 12, 2005

I really love to have lots of pots mums in my yard in the fall, but I nearly go broke buying them every year. I have a cold cellar---if I keep them there during the winter, can I salvage them for next fall? Ditto with my four-o'clocks---can I dig them up and store in the cellar to plant next spring?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cindy_T(z4-5 ME)

Believe it or not, four o'clocks make a black tuber-like thing that you can dig and store like you would glads or dahlias. One year I tossed one on a shelf in a cool room and it grew when planted the next spring. I'm not recommending that "storage" method, but it shows how much abuse they will take! :-)

Bookmark   October 13, 2005 at 9:00AM
kennebunker(5, s. ME)

I over wintered fuschias in my attic one year. They started growing shoots in early spring. You could give the mums a try.
One year I left my mums in the ground during winter and because we had a heavy snow layer they all came up beautifully the next spring. If the snow layer isn't very deep, they don't get enough protection and they will die off.

Bookmark   October 13, 2005 at 1:58PM
ginny12

I put the pots in the garage around Thanksgiving. Keep them well watered til then and then cut them down to about four inches. The bigger the pot, the more likely they are to sprout in about March. Then I put them outside in a protected location. It helps to divide them before planting in the ground in the spring. The majority come back this way.

Bookmark   October 13, 2005 at 10:39PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I have two varieties that are fully hardy in the ground year-round with no fussing at all, and we have gotten down to -22 F. One is a beautiful coppery color (a mix of reds, oranges, and yellows close up) and very double, and the other is a single daisy-like flower, pink with a yellow center. So, maybe look around and talk to the garden centers in your area to see if there are any locally available varieties that you can just grow year-round in a half-barrel planter, an old chimney tile or in the ground.

Bookmark   October 29, 2005 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
Can I plant YET? lol
Hey I was hoping someone would tell me I COULD plant...
swiftfml
Small fruit classes?
Wondering if anyone knows of any classes in small fruit...
bushpilot1
Coastal Plants ID
On a recent trip along the coast of Maine I saw some...
tropic_of_chesapeake
garden 2012
Okay, I am back after a not so fruitful first try back...
normathenewbie
Indoor tomato starts
Hi, this will be my 4th garden this year....I haven't...
skullz13
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™