Garden tractor plowing

cowpie51April 16, 2011

A Garden tractor is a great tool for a small Market Garden (1-3 acres)Plow,disk and cultivate with ease. I use a Large rear tine tiller for final seeding prep.

Before

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myfamilysfarm

Do you also dig your potatoes with it? Since it's a 1 bottom, you can. For new potatoes, just mow them off, and then run the 1 bottom down the rows. Of course, there shouldn't be other things in the same row, and hopefully you can plow in the same 'straight' line as planted. I keep hoping do be able to.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 9:10AM
henhousefarms

Planting in a strait line - where's the creativity in that??

I grew up in the heart of corn and soybean territory where some fields may be a section long. Those old school farmers could plant gunshot straight rows with out the bennifit of GPS and from the open seat of their old tractors. I can remember being in the local breakfast hangout and hearing several giving one old boy all heck (in good nature of course) because there was a swoop in one of his fields. These are the same guys that would stop their truck in the middle of the road and run out into a bean field to pull up an offensive weed in the end rows so they had the cleanest field in the county.

One of our plots up at Dad's is in the back of one of these old school farmers houses who passed a few years back. I was planting sweetcorn there two years ago and was very careful to keep the rows as strait as I could just in case Ole Charlie was looking down.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 1:20PM
myfamilysfarm

I remember my dad having to plow and plant, since he could do it straighter. My grandfather had to give it up since his eyes wasn't as good as Daddy's. None of my rows are straight, even with a line to guide me.

Marla

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 3:42PM
fez920(Z5)

Agronomy 101 you get more row when planted with curves

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 5:06PM
wordwiz

My elders insisted on perfection. Dad couldn't drive a straight line but made up for it using a gizmo that made a small furrow in the soil where the middle of the tractor was to go. But if the land was perfectly flat, when grandpa was driving and dad and I were putting plants in the transplanter, one could have shot a rifle down a row and taken the heart out of each plant!

Mike

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 6:03PM
myfamilysfarm

Personally I think since most large farmers have given up the cultivators, being able to drive straight lines are fading away. Of course, when you plant 14-16 rows, they're all equal spaced.

I remember walking the fields with my grandpa, pulling corn out of the beans. Little sister came away, but the corn was stronger than she was.

Mark, when I first started out, your setup is what I wanted. I soon outgrew it. Maybe when and if, I cut back, I'll want it again.

Marla

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 7:48AM
heavyoilguy(Z2 ALBERTA)

Cowpie51
how many horsepower is your tractor ?

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Question about greenhouse ventilation
Hey all, We have a 30' x 48' gothic greenhouse with...
secondspring
Wanted: 4 row seeder
I'm in the market for a 4 row pinpoint seeder, the...
sundacks
surplus
Normally I have a restaurant that buys 150 lbs/week...
brookw_gw
Kalettes / Flower Sprouts
I'm sure a lot of you have heard the recent hype, or...
ekgrows
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™