Full or partial sun?

norwood1081(9aSEAz)May 21, 2008

I received a Japanese Red Maple plant (Acer palmatum atro purpurea) as a gift. I repotted it at 13" high and healthy. I read somewhere that they prefer partial shade. I live near Tucson Az. and the only shade, partial or not, is in the house. I have it by a south window but it only gets about an hour of sun a day. Is it possible to leave it outside in the hot desert sun for short periods of time and if so for about how long? I'd like to see the leaf color change with the season's if possible. Obviously I'm a newbie when it comes to this plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bullthistle

Why don't you try bonsai? There should be classes around, ask at a garden center. I know it gets hot in AZ so I am afraid you will fry the maple if you put out of doors for any length of time, but if you do make sure it is watered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 11:05PM
norwood1081(9aSEAz)

Thanks for the info and the link. You gave me something to think about. It's too fragile to go outside in the sun and the wind. It's doing just fine in a southern exposure window.

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 7:58PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Can you build a shade-screen for it?

Josh

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 10:39AM
norwood1081(9aSEAz)

Probably not. The winds out here get pretty strong and the trunk is only .5mm in diameter. Less than 1/4"! I wanted to try it outside to see the leaves change, but it seems to enjoy the 1 hour sun it gets this time of year. In the fall the sun will be lower and the exposure longer.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Acer palmatum 'Barbara'
Acer palmatum 'Barbara' is listed as a cultivar on...
directorrod
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
Best Mail Order Nurseries for Japanese Maples
I would like to order a few Japanese Maple trees but...
alameda/zone 8
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™