Will sprouts and wheatgrass sell?

pepper_rancherApril 14, 2013

I am gearing up to have a table at the farmers market this year (for the first time).
How well do you think fresh broccoli sprouts (in plastic pint clamshells) would sell? Would half pints be better? What would you charge, our supermarkets dont carry it here.
How about trays of wheatgrass? Same question about the price because you cant really buy trays of it here.

Does anyone have a good source for the plastic clamshells? I found a site on the internet that I can get them for about $0.13 each after shipping costs.

This post was edited by pepper_rancher on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 10:06

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myfamilysfarm

Your costs is about right, make sure that they are true clamshells or with lids. Not all have lids, but I believe you would really need them, or people will think they might be samples.

If you can't find prices nearby, check online. I'd bet they are available somewhere. Natural food stores might be a good source.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:25AM
cole_robbie(6)

Wheat grass may also be sold as "cat grass," too. Indoor cats like to eat it, and it's good for their digestive system.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 1:05PM
pepper_rancher

My broccoli sprouts are organic, I found out the healthfood store sells non-organic for $3.69... How much should i charge?

And any idea on how much to charge for a 12"x18" patch of wheatgrass?

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 3:02PM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

There is a customer who comes every so often and asks for alfalfa. You might want to grow that too. Can you get broccoli seed cheap enough to sell as sprouts?

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 7:31PM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

How do you grow sprouts for market by the way? What medium is used?

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 7:35PM
pepper_rancher

sprouts for consumption are grown without medium (glass and water)... the organic seeds are very expensive, but there is a profit margin if people were to purchase them as sprouts. I was hoping for advice on the pricing though... i am thinking between $3-$5.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:31AM
KellySunshine

I was wondering how your sales went at market last year. Considering gearing up for wheatgrass sales at the local market by spring. Offering full, 1/2 and 1/4 trays. $5, $10 and $20. Also considering pre-orders with the short shelf life. How was your experience.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
purple plants better than green in winter
this is the first full winter season for growing in...
grow_life
Emergency: using unvented propane in greenhouse - help!
Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone with some experience...
secondspring
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Mara des bois strawberry?
I have just discovered Mara des bois strawberry and...
cedar_wa
Kalettes / Flower Sprouts
I'm sure a lot of you have heard the recent hype, or...
ekgrows
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™