when to plant corn?

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)January 16, 2013

Since I haven't grown corn since living in Ohio years ago...when is the best time to plant corn here in central MD (Howard County)?

I've seen anywhere from late March to May 1 - a BIG range. I know it would depend somewhat on the type of corn, the older "SU" varieties being more cold-soil tolerant...but can anyone with experience chime in?

I also forget the "ideal" soil temps to go for - I usually planted May 10 in Ohio, but farmers always planted earlier...and yet, it seemed my corn caught up in size by late June.

As a side note, has anyone tried laying down clear plastic to prewarm the soil a bit, and/or using a floating row cover to gain either a couple weeks on the front end in spring, or, to just warm them up a couple degrees to get better growth? I realize once it's more than a few inches high, the cover would have to come off...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
manure_queen(md 7)

I am in PG county , what I have done has germinated seeds in the small bathroom cups with a hole in bottom for drainage. Start them early April(also works for beans), put in plastic baggie for humidity. If you have a south facing wall, this can be down out side, so they will be hardened. Start my tomatoes in March this way as well but use individual zip baggies and put in an aquarium under glass. They do not get leggy and need no further hardening.
MAry

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 10:45AM
More Discussions
Eastern Filbert Blight
I am interested in purchasing Corylus avellana 'Contorta'...
colleensworld
Sweet Potatoes Curled
This was my first year trying to grow sweet potatoes....
freedomeagle
Raspberries or Blackberries for northern VA
Hi, Well I posted something about honeyberries and...
zendog
Not a serious Spring Swap post (yet)
Just wanted everyone to know that Henrietta called...
Larry Kahn
Looking for nursery for Ginkgo seedlings (bareroot)
i am looking for a wholesale nursery that will sell...
maple_man
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™