The catalogs are coming, the catalogs are coming!

Cindy_T(z4-5 ME)November 27, 2004

Wow! The first seed catalogs of the season arrived yesterday from Stokes and Pinetree. I can remember when they didn't show up till after Christmas and now they're here when I've just barely gotten the garden put to bed for the winter. I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing... :-)

The Pinetree catalog is really amazing. I'm so impressed by the depth of their offerings, especially vegetable seeds. And I love that its a Maine owned and operated company. No, this is not a paid advertisement. ;-0

Happy reading, everyone!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robin_maine

I'm a happy woman - Fedco came today. I order most of my seeds through them. I got Johnny's commercial and Stokes Monday. I requested a catalog from Carolina Seeds a few days ago and got it today. I'm set now. What I don't get from Fedco will come from Johnny's. I'm heading for the couch with the colored pens and start circling things I know I'll be ordering.

Bookmark   November 27, 2004 at 6:27PM
veilchen(5b southern Maine)

Hey, I didn't get my Pinetree catalog yet!

Bookmark   November 28, 2004 at 8:46AM
chicken_lady(z3/4 Maine)

I've gotten Pinetree and Thompson & Morgan so far. Can't wait to get more!

Cathy

Bookmark   November 28, 2004 at 10:58AM
gardengardengardenga

stokes, pine tree, Johnnys today!

Bookmark   November 29, 2004 at 12:07PM
chicken_lady(z3/4 Maine)

Yesterday, Seymour's Selected Seeds, Totally Tomatoes, Vermont Bean Seed Company, and McClure & Zimmerman. Gotta get down to the mailbox and see if anymore came today!

Cathy

Bookmark   November 30, 2004 at 10:59AM
veilchen(5b southern Maine)

Got my Pinetree yesterday.

Bookmark   December 1, 2004 at 7:24AM
maineman(z5a ME)

I got Seed Savers catalog yesterday. They specialize in heirloom seeds. A few days earlier I got Pinetree and Stokes. I definitely will be ordering some stuff from Stokes. I'm glad they increased the size of their catalog.

I guess I am going to have to request a Thompson & Morgan catalog. I bought several packets of their seeds last year, but it was off of a Thompson & Morgan seed rack in our local Longfellow's Greenhouse store. I may have the same problem with Johnny's. I bought a bunch of their seeds off the rack and placed no order through the catalog. Oh, well.

Maybe this year I will put more emphasis on ordering from catalogs. I really like to get seed catalogs in the mailbox. I just wish I had a bigger garden so I could try more new things.

MM

Bookmark   December 5, 2004 at 11:47AM
gardengardengardenga

has anyone ever tried the purple carrots? they are new in Johnnys. I wanted to try them, but have rocky soils here (maine).

Bookmark   December 11, 2004 at 10:53PM
cicada(5bME)

"Seymour's Selected Seeds, Totally Tomatoes, Vermont Bean Seed Company, and McClure & Zimmerman"

I got all these catalogs at once, they are all the same format, and all seem to have been mailed from the same place -- are they all owned by the same corporation or is this just some way of producing and mailing catalogs more efficiently?

Bookmark   December 12, 2004 at 8:07AM
Cindy_T(z4-5 ME)

I don't know about Mc Clure & Zimmerman, but you're right about the other three. They, along with HPS, are all owned by the same parent company - Jung, if memory serves me. FWIW, a lot of folks on the tomato forum are concerned about the lack of accuracy in the TT descriptions.

G4, you aren't the only one with rocks! I've all but given up on carrots! LOL!

Has anyone other than Robin gotten the Fedco catalog? I'm still waiting for that one. I want to order a bunch of herb seeds this year and they always have a good selection.

Bookmark   December 12, 2004 at 9:37AM
gardengardengardenga

Fdco is always late for me, I havent gotten it yet either

Bookmark   December 12, 2004 at 12:26PM
Cindy_T(z4-5 ME)

Phew! Fedco came today; now I can get down to serious ordering!

Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
Hardiness zone in Bangor
I may be applying for a job in Bangor and was wondering...
bonniejean001
The Curse of the Plume Poppy
About 3 years ago my husband (the landscaper no less)...
Limur
Ut Oh. Maine is a very inactive forum.
Ok. Let's chat. I live somewhere near Ellsworth, although...
annpatt
Help with ID this plant
**THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ID!** We visited Rockport...
p.polyxenes
Growing Rhododendron in northern Maine
I live in Caribou, ME and visted the Connecticut shore...
dtl11
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™