Beni shichi henge (not reversion?)

Thyme2dig NH Zone 5May 30, 2009

Here is a pic of a branch of the above japanese maple cultivar. It's tough to get a good pic of the branch because they are so tight. On 2 branches on the tree (which is only about 3' tall) there are large green leaves coming out and then further to the branch tip the "normal" leaves come back. More curious than anything. I'm assuming there is nothing I should do. There are only a few large green leaves on the tree. Anyone have an explanation for this? Thanks for any info.

width=700

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

It's not uncommon for some variegated J. maples to produce some solid green foliage, especially on new growth. The variegation tends to be focused on second year wood. And younger, juvenile trees tend to produce this type of growth more easily than older, more mature trees. If it's not too heavy, you can prune it out if you wish - we often do that at the nursery on young trees - but it is not a requirement :-) The tree should produce normal looking variegated foliage in is place next year.

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 10:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

Thanks Gardengal. Is it normal for a branch to have both types of leaves on the same branch? That kind of threw me off a little when I saw the small variegated leaves and then a few large solid green leaves then back to the "normal" leaves at the branch tips. This tree is about 5 yrs old but is growing very slowly up here in NH. I'm surprised it has even been surviving year after year!

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Kelp treatment effective for sugar maple?
One of our mature sugar maples has been struggling...
ruckusev
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™