What growing zone?

Franklin66December 6, 2004

Hi all...can anyone tell me what growin' zone Farmington Maine is in? Franklin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robin_maine

4b but less than a degree from 4a.

The link below has a lot of information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Hardiness Zones in Maine

Bookmark   December 7, 2004 at 6:42AM
mainerose(4)

Robin's technically right. However, just where you are located in Farmington might have a lot to do with your zone. If you are in town, you'll be a bit warmer than if you are in a slight valley or near a stream, since the cold air seems to settle in those pockets. I live a quarter of a mile from Wilson Stream and it get really cold :) Wind can have a real effect too---the UMF campus gardens, sheltered by buildings on all sides, are generally warmer than gardens which are completely exposed.

Bookmark   December 8, 2004 at 4:54PM
robin_maine

Good point. We have snow on the ground longer here than one half mile from here. I have three acres of open land. The field up the road is 100+ open acres with lots of sun, wind and degree or two difference. It makes a difference.

The zone maps are supposedly being redone to reflect things like radiant heat in newly developed areas. I've read that the change would be out last winter and then delayed until July but haven't seen it yet.

Bookmark   December 8, 2004 at 6:18PM
gardengardengardenga

same here on MDI there are many micro climates with inthe island ranging from 5-4.

Bookmark   December 11, 2004 at 7:17AM
frank_getchell(4-5 Maine)

I have never seen a growing zone map that had any towns or cities on it. Its hard to tell in many cases what zone one is in without place names for reference. I would like to see one if there is such a thing. Anybody? fg

Bookmark   February 11, 2005 at 3:06PM
The_Dollmaker

Wouldn't be accurate anyway. If it looks like you could be in one zone or t'other, it might be best to assume that your yard has some of one and some of the other. Actually I swear I have 3 zones in my yard. I suspect that in real life, those map lines are quite wavy and it's impossible to predict what direction they will wave in, from one year to the next.

Bookmark   February 11, 2005 at 11:09PM
frank_getchell(4-5 Maine)

Yeah, Cathy, but when a government agency puts Waterville in the same clime as Brassua Dam one has to wonder what their reason for existence is. fg

Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 6:13AM
More Discussions
What is this sweet plant ?
Hi, I saw this plant in Southwest Harbour , Maine,...
carib2008
which seeds are best to use?
I haven't purchased any seeds yet and not sure which...
normathenewbie
How doe your garden grow?
I hope there are some people who still are active on...
bonnylynn
spring blooming white flowered bush
Hi all, I have a friend in Maine who planted an unknown...
Elijahs.Mimi
Who has Grapes in Maine
How about a few notes from anyone growing grapes in...
bberry_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™