Well, since there really isn't much going on now in the garden (nothing really), and we haven't seemed to have much to talk about in this forum, I thought I'd start a thread re: what you're thinking about now, as in plans for next year's garden, flowers you miss, etc.
1. I made a new rose bed end of last summer and it is ready for planting when my bareroot Austin order arrives in spring. I really do miss my roses and June is just too long to wait.
2. I am going to order more daylilies for spring, probably from Ollalie. Because they have so many late-blooming varieties that will carry on the season after most of the rest of them peak in July.
3. I have scanned through some of the seed catalogs and will place my orders next week when my kid goes back to school. I am going to try leeks for the first time.
4. I will be eagerly awaiting bloom from all the Japanese and Siberian irises I planted last year.
5. I am trying really hard to put off that 9 yard order of mulch (the amount I'll need, at least, in order to mulch all my gardens). I mulched 9 yards the summer before last and I remember a)the expense; and b)several weekends of hauling wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow from the mountain at the end of my driveway into the garden. This fall we were able to cover the smaller beds with several inches of shredded leaves and also used pine needles. I am hoping these hold up so I won't need to mulch them this year. But the main garden will need mulch, and we don't have anywhere near enough bags of leaves in reserve.
6. This is going to be a busy summer for me. I am heading up the garden tour in July. Our garden club is undertaking a renovation project on the grounds of our library. The museum director just asked me yesterday if I could help design a Shaker herb garden on the museum grounds to coordinate with a Shaker exhibit in August. We are going to have a garage/house addition built and I will probably go crazy trying to figure out what to plant around the new foundation and along the new driveway, and I am already worried about how the drainage will be affected for my new iris garden. And my client's gardens really really need mulch next year (more hours of work for me). Plus everything that needs to be done in my own garden.
Share your thoughts?