Japanese Maple Still in Trouble

emmi331(7)May 20, 2007

I have a relatively young Japanese Maple in my front yard (about 8-10 feet tall). During the freeze about 6 weeks ago, it lost all of its new leaves. Much to my relief, they began coming back with the warmer weather, but lately most of the new leaves appear withered and/or chewed, many of them when they're barely out and still tiny. This has not happened before. What could this be? Can it be fixed? Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myersphcf(z6a IL)

Your answer most likely lies in the condition of the bark at and below the leafing area ..I'd bet if you look it is damaged probabaly at least on one side with maybe some black or grey areas ...if AT ANY point on the trunk the black or grey encircles the whole trunk it is toast ultimatly abovee that point same goes for individual branches at least everything above that area and whatever is still alive will follow what the rest has done in short order ...otherwise you may have a really small tree ( genereic left only if it was grafted and the only untouched part is below the graft or some of a specific cultivatr just above the graft) or if it isn't grafted some at bottom may live... If you like "little trees" keep it if not tourch it... I could be wrong but I doubt it... been there done that with several from freeze ..David

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
Mail order source for improved silver maples?
Greetings! Brand new to the forum. This spring, I'll...
arbordavein
Best Mail Order Nurseries for Japanese Maples
I would like to order a few Japanese Maple trees but...
alameda/zone 8
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Japanese Maple scion wood
Hello, Have a lot of Maple seedlings Anybody wants...
korina77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™