Where can I get seeds?

The_DollmakerDecember 14, 2004

Anyone know a store in central or western Maine where I can get a packet of viola seeds for a Christmas present? I know, I should of thought of it earlier in the year! It's even too late to mail order because I have to send the gift to Minnesota.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bitterwort

Well, if you don't find any near you and if the seeds alone are the present, you might see if you could get them in Minnesota instead. In-state shipping might be faster. I'm in Minnesota. I can't recall if the seed stands are usually out this early, but I often get seeds early (perhaps January) from Bachman's in Minneapolis. You might contact them if you don't have any luck otherwise. Other options to try would be Linders in St. Paul and Gerten's in Inver Grove Heights--they're both fairly large too. (A search should turn up their web sites).

Here is a link that might be useful: Bachman's site

Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 4:12PM
Anne_Marie_Alb(5)

Violas.. what a nice gift!
Thompson & Morgan (in New Jersey) ships very fast-the next day. Give them a call and they will send them right away, even probably to the Minnesota address. Check their site. I have grown the 'magnifico', and they were very nice.
tel.: 800-274-7333
Fax: 1 888-466-4769

You might also try Johnny's selected Seeds. I am ordering from them for the first time, so I don't know how fast they ship.
Good Luck
Anne-Marie

Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 5:35PM
The_Dollmaker

It's part of a whole gift. My son embellished a plastic plant pot with stenciling, and we want her to have the pot& violas for her condo terrace. We chose violas because his name is John and another name for violas in Johnny Jump Up. I am going to go and check my mother's shed, she may have some un-opened packets left. I should try to find out if there is a way to harvest seeds from our own. I don't know how they do in pots, but I think it would make a nice present for Grandma. Maybe we can just send the pot and a note that the seeds will arrive under separate cover, that way she'll get seeds packed for `05. From Johnny's - wouldn't that be fun!

Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 7:18PM
Anne_Marie_Alb(5)

Maybe we can just send the pot and a note that the seeds will arrive under separate cover, that way she'll get seeds packed for `05. From Johnny's
LOL!! Thank you for the story behind the question!! Why don't you tell her that she can only get what goes in the pot if she guesses what 'Johnny' has for her... that way you are buying yourselves some time! or that "don't let the content jump out or it might hide for a while.. Johnny"
Happy holidays!

Anne-Marie

Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 10:02PM
The_Dollmaker

Fun ideas, thank you!

Bookmark   December 15, 2004 at 10:23AM
gardengardengardenga

I have some violas for trade of you like. I collected them myself. Email me if you are interested.

Bookmark   December 16, 2004 at 1:37AM
More Discussions
Blue Hubbard Just for Fun
The Mrs. and I built a camp in Southern Piscatiquis...
sailfish
Help with ID this plant
**THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ID!** We visited Rockport...
p.polyxenes
more RAIN!!
do you think we will be able to grow gardens this season?...
sherryinmaine
Asparagus Questions
Ok my wife knows how much I love that asparagus so...
macropora
Indoor tomato starts
Hi, this will be my 4th garden this year....I haven't...
skullz13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™