Elderflowers

mbrown297(6b)April 29, 2013

I posted this question last year and didn't get many responses so I thought I would try again. I have a number of European elderberry plants that have gotten quite large. I would like to sell the flowers so I don't have to deal with the birds eating the elderberries.
Does anyone have any experience or information about pricing for elderflowers? I haven't been able to find anything online and I want to start looking into some markets before they bloom.
Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myfamilysfarm

I've tried to sell the berries, still on stem, but not the flowers. What are the uses for the flowers?

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:17PM
katydid85(8)

I've never sold the elderflowers, but make a beautiful liquer every year (fantastic in champagne!)

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 12:21AM
trianglejohn

Do they hold up after cutting them off the plant? Do they look good in a vase of water while you're at the market? If not or if they wilt, then I would focus on folks that home brew their own concoctions with them (they are actually very popular but I think most folks just harvest them from the wild). If you are selling at a farmer's market and they display well you might sell a few to folks wanting to experiment with them (they make good floral flavored fritters also) but I wouldn't think they would be big sellers. You might also find a wine/beer making shop and either sell them to them or at least post a notice that you have them available for home brewers. I would price them like any other flavoring herb except that it takes a lot of them to make a strong tincture and factory made tinctures don't really cost that much. So charge whatever you can get but don't expect to get rich from this crop.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 9:34AM
mbrown297(6b)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out home brewers.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Winter market 2015
Last week during the first winter thaw here I cut forsythia...
jebfarm
Sprayer Value
Hi- I am thinking of buying a used mistblower sprayer,...
erniew
Tomato grafting
I've been thinking of trying it for a few years, and...
grow_life
Winter markets, going better?
We had another winter market last Saturday. Due to...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Emergency: using unvented propane in greenhouse - help!
Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone with some experience...
secondspring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™