When does your market open????????

heidi41(z5 Mass)April 20, 2007

Mid way thru our last market season, I became market manager for our existing market. The original manager just lost interest and backed out. This year through the winter, we have had a few vendor meetings. We will be opening our Market on May 31. We hold a Thursday nite market from 3pm until 7pm. Our market is relatively small, we now have 12 vendors but we seem to be gaining momentum..I'm very excited for this years market. Good luck to All. Heidi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonblooms(z8 AL)

We have 3 markets in our area that we work. The opening dates are April 28, May 10 and May 24. We're also setting up at an Earth Day Festival tomorrow. I hope everyone has great success at their markets this year.

Shelly

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 4:30PM
starwoodfarm

June 23rd, do you believe it? It's because the only other vendors on the board are more hobbyists, and don't want a long season.

I will be traveling and extra 45 miles to participate in a market that opens May 19th.

Laura

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 5:44PM
bryan_ut(z5UT)

1 of our markets opens the day before Mother's day (always does). 1 in June and the other in July. I am glad they don't all start at once though.

Bryan

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 9:11AM
loodean

OUrs opens May17th, however it is very small, disorganized, with some in-fighting among the vendors. Small town politics = what can I say???

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 4:57PM
kydaylilylady(z6 KY)

I participate in two markets here. One opened this past Saturday and the other will open this coming Saturday. The former will start having Tues. and Thurs. market starting the first week in May.

Janet

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 8:25AM
anniew(4-5/PA)

Our small market usually opens the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. This year we won't open until June 15. It's always been hard to get enough stuff ready for the earlier date, and or largest veggie farm lost its manager and won't have one in time for an early start (if at all this year).
I've read that small markets tend to open earlier while large ones later. I think the earlier you open the earlier in the season you get burned out.
Ann

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 2:10PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Our market doesn't open until the second week of July. On one hand I wished we opened earlier, especially since I also sell flowers/plants, and these sell better earlier in the season. But then again, it's nice to have that extra time to prepare and really get ready for things. And several of our vendors have outside jobs in addition to farming, so the later start date gives us some breathing room, so we are not so pressured.

We started a Wednesday evening market last year. It was kind of slow, but I think we will be trying it again this year and try to get out more word about it.

:)
Dee

Bookmark   April 29, 2007 at 4:17PM
margaretmontana(4-5MT)

We start this Saturday. It is a little lettuce, spinach and bedding plants and grows weekely until July it is usually full with vendors waiting to see if there will be a space and we end the end of September.

Bookmark   May 3, 2007 at 5:48PM
hengal(z5 / IN)

Our market starts on June 30th and runs through September 15th this year. :)

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 12:00PM
hotzcatz(Hamakua, Hawaii)

Umm, ours starts at 7:00 am every Saturday although if you show up late they will save a spot for you.

Bookmark   January 14, 2008 at 2:15AM
More Discussions
Winter markets, going better?
We had another winter market last Saturday. Due to...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
surplus
Normally I have a restaurant that buys 150 lbs/week...
brookw_gw
Micro Greens -- Profitable?
I would like to hear from anyone growing and selling...
heirloom_lady
Growing ginger in northern areas
This is my first year growing ginger, I have 10 pounds...
mdfarmer
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™