Transplanting red maples

skob123May 17, 2014

Is it possible to transplant red maples that are probably 10 years old and 40 feet high? We are building a house on 5 acres that has zero trees! We planted these maples at our current house and they are beautiful! Would like to take them with us if it can be done since they would provide some much needed shade. If it is possible does anyone know ballpark what the cost would be? Thank you .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Transplanting trees of that size requires professionals with a tree spade. And a very large flat bed truck. A very expensive proposition - several thousand dollars at the very least. And you run a very real risk of the trees not taking well to the transplant and dying after all that work and expense. Larger, more mature trees are very difficult to establish compared to smaller, younger ones.

Red maples grow quickly. It would be far better to purchase new ones for you new home. And consider expanding your tree selection to include other and more ornamental species.........you certainly have the room :-))

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 1:20PM
skob123

Thank you gardengal . I would hate to go to that expense and not have them take. Do you have any suggestions for the ornamental trees? I appreciate your input . Thank you.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 8:47PM
gardengal48

Golly - the selection is endless :-)) My best suggestion, not knowing where you are located, is to visit any arboreta or public gardens in your area and see what you like. There are wonderful native trees you could include as well a host of cultivated selections. You can pick for size, flowering attributes, fall foliage color, bark effect - with 5 acres available, you could create quite the park!!

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
October Glory/ Sun Valley Maple growth habit question/input pls
Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a spot. I want a nice...
RGodman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™