winterberry flowering times

pankhi(z7Md)January 27, 2005

I have 10 year-old male and female winterberry shrubs (Ilex verticillata). The female is now about 10 feet tall and the male is about 3 feet tall. The shurbs came from Behnke nursery. I want to plant more female winterberry shrubs but don't know which male I have. I was told that I should look at when the male has flowers to determine the cultivar. I live in Montgomery County, MD (about 15 miles northwest of Wash. DC). Does anyone have approximate timings of flowering for the various male cultivars?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

I will attempt to e-mail you a picture of the chart published in my forestfarm.com catalog. It may actually be on their website, but I did not check. Their calendar dates may be different since I do not know the source of their chart, but if you know the name of your female plant, the chart shows bloom time for a compatible male.
If I knew how to post full sized pictures, I would simply attach it here. The only pictures I have learned how to post turn out tiny.
I have a similar problem with a female that gets almost no berries. Wild plants are probably less than a mile away but insects pollinate these plants and the chances are slight that any little insect will get from a male to my female.
I ordered the male called 'Apollo' and only hope bloom times coincide, not knowing the variety of female I have.
I did not check the garden webs search engine for an answer to your question. This is often the first thing a person should do, but you cannot always find a direct answer.

Bookmark   January 28, 2005 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Native Plant lectures in Baltimore area
Here is a link: http://www.bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/2015nativeplantlectureseries/ I...
amanda_m
Looking for nursery for Ginkgo seedlings (bareroot)
i am looking for a wholesale nursery that will sell...
maple_man
Some account related stuff that people have been asking about
A couple of things. If you haven't figured it out yet,...
Larry Kahn
Honeyberries in DC area?
Hi, I'm considering adding a few honeyberry plants...
zendog
Most Fragrant Butterfly Bush for PA?
Winter has killed several of the smaller varieties...
treehugger101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™