Need more than one plant for proper pollination?

vicki_vale(z6 NY)February 25, 2014

Hi milkweed fans,

I have a tiny backyard, and would like to try just one of each kind of milkweed, if I can make room for them all.

However, From http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/forb/ascspe/all.html
"Most Asclepias spp. are self-incompatible, requiring crosses between genetically different individuals to produce viable seeds...."

This sounds like I need more than one plant, for each type of milkweed. Or, can A. tuberosa help to pollinate A. incarnata, for example?

If I do need at least two of each type, for future propagation potential, does each plant have to come from a variety of pods/parents, and not a single milkweed pod source, to avoid genetically identical siblings and sterile seeds the next generation?

Thanks guys

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I'd grow as many plants as you can fit comfortably in your yard, then see if they produce seeds or not. If not, then you can come back here and we'll be happy to provide you with more seeds or plants to add genetic diversity. You're getting way ahead of yourself and over thinking. Just enjoy this stage of your current garden. Will you post pictures of each of your milkweeds? I'm quite sure that the different types of milkweeds can't cross pollinate. But, there may be other milkweed plants within bug flying distance of your yard that could cross.

Martha

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
Cold Stratifying A. tuberosa seed
I would like to have some A. tuberosa up and growing...
flutterby64
Neem Oil on Milkweed
My sister in Florida used Neem oil ONE time on a few...
cghpnd
Swan Plant aphids!!
Hello. I have an aphid problem on my swan plant. The...
ZukeyWolfy
WANTED: Asclepias californica
I'm interested in obtaining Asclepias californica seed....
LDighera
Preference for Swamp Milkweed (A. Incarnata)?
Has anyone else noticed if their monarchs have a preference...
NKUSigEp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™