insects other than monarch attracted

lecorbeau(7b)March 15, 2014

Have any of you had problems with the black and orange milkweed bug? For two years my Asclepias tuberosa have been eaten to the ground by these bugs. I've never seen a monarch anywhere near them.
Kat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linda_tx8(8)

What you may be having trouble with is the Swamp Milkweed Leaf Beetle. Believe me, I know what sometimes severe damage these can do. They don't always show up here, but when they do, I know I have to check the milkweeds often and kill all adults and larva I can find! Monarchs are seldom seen these days because of their rapidly plummeting numbers...and Asclepias tuberosa aren't all that popular with the Monarch, just from what I've heard. I hope to see some Monarch this spring, but my milkweed is just barely coming back from very severe cold (for my part of the country). I'm afraid I couldn't lure an ELF Monarch with barely any foliage even if they come by. Does these insects look familiar?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bug Guide, Labidomera clivicollis

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 1:29PM
lecorbeau(7b)

Linda, that's very similar to what I had, if not the one. I didn't realize Monarchs prefer other Asclepias species.

Thanks for the info. I will try to plant different species this year and see if any monarchs come. I guess I had better be watching for the return of the bugs and start removing them before they take over, too.

Kat

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 2:54PM
runmede(7a Virginia)

The milkweed beetles and weevils decimated my milkweed last year. They feed mostly in the evening and at night. I started going out with a flashlight and hand picked them into a baggy because I do not use pesticides.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of milkweed damage from beetles and weevils

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 12:39AM
More Discussions
Matelea baldwyniana
I am looking for seeds and/or plants of this species...
wildflowerman_2000
Finally monarch cats two days ago
I hope they manage with the predation. I also worry...
dbarron
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Tulsa, milkweed, help?
Looking for what types of milkweed would grow well...
Erin Teeter
One example of "How To" germinate native Milkweed Seed
Interesting suggestions for preparing and germinating...
mary_littlerockar
Sponsored Products
Red Cowboy Handkerchief Plate - Set of 24
$8.99 | zulily
Sonoma Pull-Down Kitchen Faucet with Integral Soap Dispenser
Signature Hardware
Ginny Bar Accent Table
$260.99 | Dot & Bo
Noahs Ark´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Inspirational
$255.95 | Bellacor
POLYWOOD Recycled Plastic Cape Cod Nautical Dining Set - Seats up to 8 - PW065
Hayneedle
Monarch Three-Light Crackled Bronze Pendant
$99.98 | Bellacor
The Perfect Shade Creator 14 x 10-ft. Manual Retractable Awning - RGL1410MAN-RT-
Hayneedle
Flora Wool Pile Rug - Lilac - Thomas Paul
$351.00 | HORNE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™