Wild A variegata milkweed breaking ground!

mary_littlerockar(8a-7b mid Arkansas)March 22, 2014

Even though we've had a very cold winter here in Central Arkansas, the native 'Red Ring' milkweed I transplanted (with permission) several years ago is beginning to push up new growth. Swamp and common are usually the first to pop up here so really surprised. No signs of other milkweed.

Anyone else seeing native milkweed?

We're forecast to get down to 28 degrees Tuesday night. I do hope that is the last of the cold weather for this year.

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Here in zone 5 we're just finding the ground again under our record breaking snow. Nothing sprouting,yet, but I'm hoping for several new milkweed species from seed. Red Ring is one of the varieties I planted, so my fingers are crossed.

Martha

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 10:32PM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Mary,

I have swamp, purple, possibly variegata, whorled, tuberosa, and lanceolata breaking dormancy. I am hoping tonight's temps do not nip the plants. I also have 10 Monarch eggs shared with me by another local friend. She helped me raise my abundance last year--I raised at least 600, and shared over 50 cats with her.

Sandy

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:37PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I was out clearing off flower beds all weekend, and everything has sprouted except the milkweeds. But, that is normal for around here. Even most of the hardy annuals seem to have survived the harsh winter, so I have confidence the Milkweeds are fine.

Martha

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 7:22AM
More Discussions
Tulsa, milkweed, help?
Looking for what types of milkweed would grow well...
Erin Teeter
Asclepias fruticosa - better known as Swan Plant or African Milk
Just want to let everyone know: I tried growing Asclepias...
mary_littlerockar
common milkweed buds not blooming
(Tried attaching pic but site won't allow.) The plant...
agingflowerchild
Can I grow milkweed in a shaded area?
I have swamp milkweed (incarnata). Can I grow this...
ladyrose65
Growing common milkweed help
Hi there! I just got common milkweed seeds, and i soaked...
BalanceA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™