high tunnels and floods

brookw_gwApril 19, 2011

Eventually, I hope to take greater control over my plantings by having high tunnels. Am I to assume that they alleviate many of the problems caused by too much rain or do they get soupy and sloppy too??

Brook

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boulderbelt(5/6)

If you get flooding rains they will get very very wet. I remember working in one a few years ago with an intern and we watched the ground go from dry to saturated in about 45 minutes. Outside there was about 6 inches of water on the ground.

I assume that is the state of the hoop houses today as we just got 3 inches of rain this morning and we are flooded. Fortunately we have a very well drained place and the water should be gone in a few hours.

But for normal rains they work very well at keeping the soil dry

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 2:32PM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

Brooke, It depends on how and where you build your high tunnel. Most of mine are build just straight in my fields, I have spent time to work the ground around them to get the rain to drain away. Even with this, the uphill side sometimes gets wet from water soaking in.

I would encourage you, as flooding is a problem, to build up "Pads" to build your tunnels on 18-24 inches higher than the area around them.

We had 1.5 inches of rain on Thursday night, I was tilling inside my high tunnels on Friday afternoon. It would have been Friday morning, but I had school!

For the most part it does help. I can work ground inside while it is raining outside. But if flooding is a problem, build up the area.

Jay

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 3:09PM
brookw_gw

Thanks, I figured it would help, and I also planned on building up the dirt inside and creating outside drainage. I'm still at least a couple years away from getting one, but I am really anxious to do so as I believe there are great advantages to them. I have a lot of people wanting me to do a csa, but I'm not comfortable doing this until I have more control over the elements. I have used low tunnels in the past, but that really won't solve water issues. My mailing list has tripled over last year because of word of mouth, but once again I am totally at the mercy of the weather. I also believe tunnels would solve my critter problem as well. I know one thing: if I ever plant a food plot for deer, it will be all spinach and lettuce!!

Brook

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 10:00AM
myfamilysfarm

don't forget eggplant, deer LOVE the nice healthy young plants.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 10:34AM
hillbilly_hydro

plant some rhubarb the deer love it ...it doesn't love the deer they will get about 10 feet away and drop dead for you

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 3:11AM
brookw_gw

So that's what's happening to my rhubarb, but there's still no shortage of deer. I have 45 rhubarb now but lose several every year. They've been pretty tricky to get established. Good plants aren't cheap to replace either. I wish I could get rabbits and mice to eat them!!!

Brook

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 9:33AM
hillbilly_hydro

if it was deer you would find them dead 10 feet from the rhubarb

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 12:02AM
More Discussions
Growing ginger in northern areas
This is my first year growing ginger, I have 10 pounds...
mdfarmer
What tool for punching hole in plastic for transplants
What do yall use for putting a hole in plastic mulch...
seedsoffaithfarm
Advice for Farm Stand Newbies
Hello! Cant tell you how much I have enjoyed reading...
Marquisa
help designing my irrigation system
Hello, quick introduction, My name is Ed and I have...
squashblossom12
Farm Fan App
I ran across this today, any thoughts? http://about.farmfanapp.com/ Looks...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Sponsored Products
MLSEC14LED50 MaxLite LED Security Light, 14 Watts Bronze
EnvironmentalLights.com
Radiax 2700K 60-Degree 21-Watt LED Beach Flood Light
Lamps Plus
Artemide | Cefiso Outdoor Light
YLiving.com
Artemide | Orcamo Recessed Outdoor Ceiling Light
$785.00 | YLighting
P5662-31: Motion Sensor Black One-Light Outdoor Wall Lantern
$144.81 | Bellacor