Can JM survive full shade?

laopiMay 29, 2009

Hi,

I had a almost full shade on north of my house, I'd like to plant a JM, can it survive?

peter

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
devorah(z8WA)

I have a full moon maple in full shade. It seems to like it

Bookmark   May 30, 2009 at 1:27PM
gardengal48

I'd like a better explanation of what is considered "almost full shade". Generally, full shade is created by something overhead that fully blocks the sun - a dense tree canopy, an overhead structure, etc. The north side of a house typically does not get too much direct sunlight but it is usually a bright, indirect light condition. And if your home is painted a light color, there is often a lot of reflected light as well.

Many plants in full shade can suffer, not just because of the lack of light but also because whatever is causing the lack of light prevents rainfall from penetrating well also. But I suspect you do not have these very limiting conditions and many maples will thrive in lower light areas. Those with highly variegated foliage and reticulated (heavily veined) or very pale colored foliage - like the Golden fullmoon maple - will do very well in these conditions. Redleafed maples typically do not retain very good color if in too much shade. They need some sun for that color to develop well.

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 9:51AM
victor5(ME)

All japanese maples like some sun but never complete shade or full sun including afternoon sun. The fullmoon maple will do well here and some of the japonica species as well.

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 3:13PM
firefightergardener(7/8)

Full shade is a relative term. If you mean underneath overstory trees with minimal filtered sun, then it's OK. If you mean under a roof where it gets almost no light, then it's not a good situation. Maples actually do quite fine with very limited sun, but total shade is impossible.

I have many maples that get zero minutes of direct sun and they flourish. Some cultivars may have less(or more) color/varigation, so keep that in mind.

Bookmark   June 21, 2009 at 12:48PM
devorah(z8WA)

I apologize for my lack of precision. My yard actually faces south but there is a wooded hill rising behind it, so very little sun falls on my yard. I do have a very small full moon maple that has done well in total shade. The one that is about 6' tall gets some sun during the late spring - early fall days.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™