Good dwarf bowood for mid-atlantic

lori_elf z6b MDJanuary 3, 2005

I'm designing an herb/potager garden area for my house in which I would like to use boxwood as an edging plant. I love the color and traditional smell of buxus sempervirens, but that gets to be 6x6' tall eventually and this is a small space where I want the edging plant hedge to be no more than 18"-24" in height and width.

What is a good dwarf variety that can easily be maintained at this height and not too subject to browning out?

What is a good spacing distance to plant them? Is 18" apart too wide?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
swifty_mcgee(7B&32/Delmarva)

What is "eventually"? Box are by nature slow growers?

Bookmark   January 8, 2005 at 1:07PM
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

I had...I believe...little gem. The leaves were tiny and the plant supposedly grew about 1/2" per yr. It died after a couple of yrs for some unknown reason and I don't think it grew at all. I love em but they are terrible slow growers.

I'm growing candytuft and santolina which is sometimes pictured growing with boxwoods in a potager. This was my 1st yr growing it so I don't know much about it yet.

Bookmark   January 8, 2005 at 7:53PM
vladpup

G'Day!
- If you can't find a boxwood of the right dimenisons, would you want to consider rosemary? Boxwood is indeed a very traditinal edging, but rosemary might be appropriate for an herb garden. i'm asuming you want an evergreen, woody plant. Lavander also makes a great edging for herb gardens, but might not be thick enough to give the effect you want - and it can be finicky with our humidity. (my being a big fan of rosemary has nothing to do with this, right?)
- Just a thought!
- Happy gardening,
-vlad

Bookmark   January 9, 2005 at 11:06PM
johnfromperrycopa(zone 6 scPA)

The true dwarf form I believe is named suffricosa or something close to that spelling. I have about 14 of them spaced about 3 foot on center at the top of a retaining wall and they are doing nicely with a north eastern exposure. They are about 8 years old and still only about 1 foot tall and perhaps 10 inches wide and easily maintained. I can find the exact spelling of the variety, but if you enter Buxus in any search engine or garden web search, you should see this variety listed.

Bookmark   January 31, 2005 at 7:32AM
johnfromperrycopa(zone 6 scPA)

I think the variety is suffruticosa..

Bookmark   February 1, 2005 at 1:40PM
mary11(9)

Germander is another option. Is a perennial/shrub herb, looks like boxwood, stays short, does not have to be replaced every few years and is very hardy in Baltimore. It prunes easily into the short little hedge I think you want, like to a foot or less (expatriate, now in CA). Check out your herb books, you will see it.

Bookmark   February 1, 2005 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
Anyone in the D.C. area want a small hoop house?
I'm in the D.C. area this week and have this to give...
elisa_z5
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry Kahn
Flowers that will bloom by June 20th in Zone 7a?
Getting married June 20th and want to grow some of...
Morcar21
Not a serious Spring Swap post (yet)
Just wanted everyone to know that Henrietta called...
Larry Kahn
Stars on Houses
I was recently in Maryland, and I noticed a lot of...
ImaPseudonym
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™