When's the best time to prune a butterfly bush in this area?

DawnStorm(7/MD)January 16, 2009

Mine look like Woodstock refugees, plus I intend to move them in the spring. I've always heard that winter is the best time for pruning, but is that true? I don't know the names of my bushes, but two are white and two are lavender.

Thanks much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rane_grow(7 soMD)

We prune ours severely down to about 2 feet from the ground , I believe in february, when spring arrives it sprouts new growth up so fast !! We could almost see it grow inches every day it seemed to... about 12 feet in height ! It was beautiful , the bees and butterflies love it ... I can't wait till spring !

Bookmark   January 17, 2009 at 2:21PM
jakejones

Jan/Feb. Down to 2 feet or even less. Or maybe try three feet.

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 10:29PM
avoirgold(z7 MD)

The key is that it needs to be dormant. I do mine some time around Feb or March. Same time I do the Crape Myrtle and Pee Gee Hydrangea.

Bookmark   January 27, 2009 at 11:20AM
riverspots

I prune mine late fall-it's not quite dormant but the flowers are all dead. Mine is near a fishpond-I don't want the dead leaves to blow into the pond during winter.

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 11:47AM
palmer(6b VA)

My deer decided the best time was last late last fall after other foliage had died off. Right now (1 March) they are getting around to pruning the spruces.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 1:25PM
cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)

DO IT NOW! Don't delay like I did last year - I have two 10-ft tall butterfly bushes now. They're waaaay out of control. I'm waiting for a "good" day (I'm undergoing chemo right now so I tire out early - see MAGTAG 2009 post) to tackle this.

Actually, you might want to wait until this predicted sleet storm is over with, come to think of it.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 10:01PM
oogy4plants(6B MD)

I hope you got your butterfly bush pruned. There is one in my neighborhood I admired last year that was the size of a small tree. The weight of the snow on the branches last week cracked half of it right off!

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 9:14AM
More Discussions
Article on Rain Garden design
Hope this is the right forum: This Philadelphia landscaper...
jkom51
any luck with "Bangle Spanish Gorse"?
I saw this plant on Wayside recently, and it might...
trackmom
Houzz takeover not promising
So far this bites, but I did send them a comment email...
Larry Kahn
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry Kahn
Eastern Filbert Blight
I am interested in purchasing Corylus avellana 'Contorta'...
colleensworld
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™