Deer resistant vegies

starwoodfarmApril 3, 2006

My hero/husband built a 7 foot deer fence that has worked wonders. We may want to grow more than will fit inside the acre that it surrounds. Has anybody found any vegies that are deer resistant that we can grow outside the fence? Thanks for any knowledge you can share.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snider1946(6)

Deer do differently in different places. I grow my onions, garlic, potates and peppers outside the deer fence. However one person a half mile away claims the deer will dig his potatoes. The deer haven't bothered my corn either. Good luck to you and eat more venison!

Robert

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 4:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jayreynolds(zone 6/7)

Deer can learn to eat many things. In my area, we have VERY heavy deer pressure. One fellow grows his potatoes outside the fence, but hills them up well and hasn't any problems. Garlic, etc hasn't been bothered.

Squash and , peppers, tomato get eaten. well, last year I had butternut on the fence. One rouge learned that the growing tips were pretty good. I learned which 'rouge' it was and 'eliminated' the problem and had no more trouble.

Sweet Corn has worked but only when a small amount of it is grown along with an acre of field corn. It's a matter of 'flooding the market'. Some gets sacrificed, and coons are a worse problem than deer on the corn.

The only thing I would try is garlic, onions.

Oh, don't ask me what can happen if by chance a loose herd of cattle happens to wander through a garden and spend some time. Another good reason to protect your investment in your crops.

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 7:13AM
More Discussions
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Sprayer Value
Hi- I am thinking of buying a used mistblower sprayer,...
erniew
electric mantis tiller?
I am thinking of getting one for use in hoop houses....
jnjfarm_gw
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
One woman, seven acres
Hi there. I've been reading this forum for nearly eight...
briannaorg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™