How late is too late to start seedlings?

breezynosacek(7VA)April 2, 2005

Hey guys, I grow stuff in a greenhouse but most of it is house plants and I just rented a booth at the farmer's/flea market. I found to my surprise that there is only one person there that is selling plants so far.

I have a few flats full of tomatoes and peppers but my big question is, how late is too late to start seedlings in order to sell them?

So far, I am looking at having only 12 flats of tomatoes and 4 flats of bell peppers if I can get that many peppers, those suckers sure are slow.

Steph in zone 7 down around the NC border.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kevinw1

I find that tomato and pepper plants sell from our first market at the end of April, through to about the beginning of June, and then peter out. It depends a lot on your growing season and timing though. I should think you'd want tomatoes to be at least 6 weeks old to sell, and peppers more like 8-10 weeks, they are so slow, so you'd need to count back from the last date you'd expect people to still be buying them to see when is the last date you'd want to be sowing them.

Kevin

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 11:09PM
JoeFab(z7 NC)

I'm a bit further south than you - Charlotte, NC - but I started my first batch of heirloom tomato and pepper plants on Feb 01. They will be going to the market with me this weekend. They could probably use another week or two but, for the most part, they should be good to go!

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 8:17AM
breezynosacek(7VA)

Thanks!

I just discovered something. I started a new flat of tomatoes and because of the increased night temps and the stronger sunlight they are growing faster.

Steph

Bookmark   April 21, 2005 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Hoss seeder
Anyone using a Hoss Seeder? Please post a review. Thanks...
whfpa
Winter market, 2015
Darn phone, it said this message was rejected. Sorry...
grow bags
anyone have experience with grow bags? looking at 15...
randy41_1
Winter markets, going better?
We had another winter market last Saturday. Due to...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™